close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Odnr Towed My Trailer !!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capt.Muskey, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

I pulled into the north launch at Buckeye Lake this afternoon to find my trailer missing :mad: after leaving it there overnight, locked and way back out of the way.
    I called the Buckeye Lake PD, only to find that they are closed on Sundays,
    Then I called the sheriff's office to report my trailer missing, One hour later a tall,young, pimple faced ODNR ranger shows up and asks if there's a problem.
    I explain that my trailer is missing and he hands me a card for "John's Towing" and states that I can't park it at the launch overnight! (we double checked, there are no such signs stating anything about parking).
    At this point, I'm releived that it's NOT stolen... but puzzled as to why he would have it towed when it was at the back end of the lot, out of everyones way and He must have known I was on my boat on the lake, Duh!
    Anyway, I drive over to John's Towing (a small junkyard farm down the street) and "John" says it's a $203 dollar towing fee to get my trailer back!!!
    CASH ONLY! :mad:
    When I tell him this is crazy and this is some kind of bussiness he's running, he says "well I don't get the chance to go fishing".
    I'm beginning to notice the resemblance between "John" and the ranger, related? inbreeds most likely!:mad:
    On the long drive home I got to thinking, yes I'm not a local, and yes I have a boat, BUT, I don't make a lot of money and I only get my boat out a few times a year. The ranger and john both seemed quite pleased that they ruined someone's day and there was nothing I could do about it. (I knew I shouldn't have missed church today:( )
    So is this all legal? I can't seem to find any answers,

Does anyone know where I can find the regs that the rangers work by?
    I have searched all over the ODNR site and can't find any oridance or regulations about state park launch parking.

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

call 1 800 wildlif and ask them for some refernce as to the overnight parking.

3. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Why did you leave your trailer at a State Park overnight?

4. BIGGUNS

BIGGUNS SFC-ARMY

Did They Take The Truck An Trailer ? If Your Truck Was Not Attached To The Trailer I Could Understand It But Not If The Truck Was Attached.

5. Capt.Muskey

I rented a cabin down by Cranberry marsh that had a small dock where I could park the boat, But there wasn't enough room to park both my truck and the trailer next to the cabin.
    It's very tight back in those cabin developments, most the roads are one way only and no turning around room.
    So we launched the boat, and I parked and locked up the trailer, The wife drove the truck back to the cabin and I took the boat down the lake to the dock.

6. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

John-
    Sorry to hear that. Call the State office Tuesday ( Monday is a holiday) and talk to them. Not sure it will do any good but at least you can voice your disappointment. There is no way it should cost $200 to tow a trailor, sounds to me like barney and his towing buddy has a nice side business going.
    The next time you go there let me know and I'll have you park itat my Brothers house where it will be safe.

7. firehawkmph

firehawkmph Retired Firefighter

Capt. Muskey,
    I have had two similar situations happen in the last few years. I take my young son to Kent to play in a battle of the bands held at a club on the main drag by the university. The club has no parking lot. It is right next door to a Wendys. So after unloading, I park in the wendy's lot. It's about 7:00pm. At 11:30 I go to get the vehicle and its gone. So the only thing open at wendy's is the drive through. I walk over to the window and ask the girl if they towed my car. She said yes, there's a sign out front. Out front is a small faded sign that is not really visible when you are pulling in. It cost me and two other people that were with us 122.00 each to get our cars back from the sleazeball towing outfit. I no longer spend any money in the city of Kent.
    Last year I asked my wife if she wants to go fishing on Lake Erie. She says ok, so I load up the boat and we head for Geneva State Park. I wanted to stay close in and fish for smallmouth. We put the boat in, get some minnows and head about fifteen minutes west to the area in front of the Perry power plant. We were fishing for about fifteen minutes when a sheriff's patrol boat comes over to us. I had seen him stopping at other boats in the area and didn't think anything of it. He checked for safety equipment. I didn't have a fire extinguisher on board and my flares were past the three year expiration date. Now this is the first time I had been out on Lake Erie since the 80s when I had a larger boat. But I was within swimming distance of shore, had seven life jackets, full fuel tanks, twin batteries, cell phones, etc. I wasn't worried about getting back in. He gave me a ticket for the expired flares and made us get off the water. The ticket was 125.00. I no longer will do anything to spend money in that area anymore. Lake county sheriffs patrol can kiss my &ss too. So I feel your pain. Sounds like you got ripped. I would check with the ODNR like someone else said, but I wouldn't count on getting any money back.
    Mike Hawkins:mad:

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

what a bum deal:mad:
    i never gave it a thought when you mentioned parking it there friday night.i can see how leaving it for two nights might have made them wonder about it,but they could have at least put a warning on it after the first night just to notify you and be sure it wasn't abandoned or stolen.
    i will say one thing though.if i'd been with you at the towing place,you would probably needed more than $203 with the added cost of bail.
    that's robbery for a short tow,and "john" definitely wouldn't like what i had to say:mad:
    as dale said,i'd call the park office,explain things and ask why ronnie ranger didn't at least leave a warning the first night instead of just letting you get ripped off.

ps.........give me the address of that towing company.i did a search,and found 3 or 4 by the same name.i don't want to get the wrong guy.

9. Capt.Muskey

Thanks Dale, I'll give ya a call next time I come down and see about parking at your brother's place. Thanks for the invite.
    The wife say's I should just let it go, and chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned. (I'm sure she's right). But I'm still planning on calling the ODNR on tuesday, just to see what the regs are. too bad they don't have anything else to do besides towing trailers, what a racket!
    When I told @ss wipe John that $203 for a tow was NUTS, he sat back and smiled, "I don't even pull the tow truck out of the drive for less than $160"
    What a ripp off!!!
    The wife's is right, I'll let it go, already spent too much time pissed off about it. It is what it is.
    Just a word of advice, If any of you need a tow. DON'T call John's towing on Pleasentview rd. NW (740) 862-8586. He's too busy making love to his goats out back, and if he does have to leave his drive, it'll cost ya!

10. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I have left a trailer in the parking lot at Alum Creek while camping/fishing. Never had any problem, ODNR ranger even told me where to park the trailer.
    Sounds to me like you got scammed by these guys.

Brian

11. I would never, ever, let that go.

12. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Barney Fife could have ran the plates to see whom the trailer belonged to, then he could have checked to see if you were at the cabins. He should have made a courtesy call an explained the so called rules to you. After all, your cabin rental helped pay his salary.

Even OSHP will put a warning tag on your car before it gets towed from the highway. What a bum deal.

13. 1. The towing company only responds to requests. Unless contracted to do so, they don't look for cars to tow, they come when called.

2. The city of Kent has nothing to do with the parking policies at Wendy's. Wendy's does.

Your anger is misdirected.

14. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Man that sucks and that fee was absolutely out of line!! Unfortunately what's done is done and now I know where the goatpeople come from:)

I only wish you would have said something, I could have taken your trailer to my house and parked it there for you where it would have been safe. Anytime you are in the area and need help just ask!! I had asked for a helping hand last year and Skarfer hooked me up with his trailer, he asked nothing other than I help someone else out in the future. He called it paying it forward and that's what we can do for each other to make the world a better place. Just ask!! Great meeting you and the wife, despite this incident I hope you had a great time, we enjoyed having you in the area!!

15. Glad I could help and I'm really happy you remembered about paying it forward! Gives me hope this world has some good left in it after all!

(by the way - I'm still waiting for the check you said was in the mail...........HAHA!!!) Kidding......

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

actually the cabin rental has no bearing as it is a privately owned home with no connection to the state.but that still doesn't excuse the actions of the ranger or the crook that towed the trailer:mad:

17. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I see, I took it as it was a State rental.!% Sorry

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

it sounded that way,and i would have thought the same.just wanted to verify so as not to make the state look worse than the ranger did.

19. I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles Muskey, but I am glad to see that it didn't completely spoil the trip as it would have for some people on here.
    I saw that same Ranger Saturday.. he was pimply-faced! (he sorta reminded me of banjo boy from Deliverance) :)
    Anyway, I hope you can get to the bottom of this before Rick has to go lynch John and the ranger!
    It was really nice meeting you Saturday... and for some reason my dad keeps talking about Angie...;) Don't get the wrong idea... he was talking about her to my mom

20. I have to agree with everyone here. Althought the ODNR constantly wants more people to buy Hunting and Fishing Licenses, they sure make a crap load of cash through pushing the average Joe into finacial bliss. Here is the problem, anybody that has a trailer at a ramp will most likely be on the water, so he not only is taking away the only way to get the boat out, he is also creating an unsafe act by not allowing a boat out of the water. They should have posted a warning on your trailer. As far as your ticket on Erie, you were breaking the law, you should be ticketed, it is our responsibility to make sure that the proper safety items are on the boat, I am not disagreeing with you that there should be a warning or something, but the law is law. I do wish they would look at these little issues as a small problem and allow people the courtesy of warnings. I have yet to find a ODNR officer that has given anybody a warning, they allows give you tickets.