Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else was on alum today and had odnr come up to them for a survey. I was wading in between chesire and 37. He drove his boat right up to me. Didn't ask for my license or anything. He just asked where I was from, what I was targeting. He measured some crappies I had and we talked for a minute and then he took off. Real nice guy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is how they get extra info for deciding if they need to change limits on bags and size or keep them the same. Also for possible changes in stocking #s. Always helpful info for keeping the fisheries balanced. May be annoying sometimes but its to help keep good fishing and eco balance going in the future.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
This is how they get extra info for deciding if they need to change limits on bags and size or keep them the same. Also for possible changes in stocking #s. Always helpful info for keeping the fisheries balanced. May be annoying sometimes but its to help keep good fishing and eco balance going in the future.
+1

They're technically called "creel" surveys, be as honest as you can! If you think the population of "X" fish is Stuned (I.E. zillions of Small fish, but few Larger fish) SAY SOMETHING! If you think you're catching too few fish, SAY SOMETHING!

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
The people doing the creel surveys will never ask to see a fishing license. They are not game wardens they are just collecting data on the fishery.

Many of them are just college students hired for the summer.

The data they collect helps determine how the ODNR manages a particular fishery. They have no other method to determine fishing pressure and catch rates

·
Registered
500 Posts
He came up to be yesterday when I was throw betting some shad. Hadnt started fishing yet, real nice guy. We talked for a few minutes an he was on his way. Even gave me some saugeye advice when I asked, has to be current he said he surveyed a few boats that were slayin em the other eve. Good too see the ODNR out on the water

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts