close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ODNR: Poachers Caught

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Here's an article from ODNR. Good job.

UNDERCOVER WILDLIFE INVESTIGATION HOOKS

12 SUSPECTED POACHERS

COLUMBUS, OH -- "Operation Overbag," an undercover investigation conducted by officers of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife, resulted in the arrests of 12 suspected poachers on Saturday, October 30. Officers also executed a search warrant on a fish cleaning and retail seafood store in Lorain County.

The individuals are accused of a variety of wildlife offenses including: taking more than the legal limit of yellow perch, walleye and steelhead trout; taking more than the legal limit of deer; failure to legally tag and check deer; hunting deer by illegal methods and failure to obtain licenses and permits. The bulk of the illegal activity is said to have occurred in Lorain County, but some violations occurred in southeastern Ohio. State wildlife officers issued the 43 summonses on Saturday for courts in Lorain, Athens, and Jackson counties.

"We believe the alleged poachers in this case have stolen thousands of wild animals from the people of Ohio," said Steven A. Gray, chief of the Division of Wildlife. "It is because of conscientious hunters and anglers of our state, and their willingness to get involved, that this illegal activity has now been stopped.”

The 12 suspected poachers have been charged with 43 third and fourth-degree misdemeanor counts of violating Ohio’s wildlife laws. According to investigators, additional individuals may be charged, pending further investigation. Each fourth-degree misdemeanor conviction can carry a maximum fine of $250 and 30 days jail. Third-degree misdemeanors can carry a maximum fine of $500 and 60 days jail. Additionally, hunting and fishing licenses may be revoked and equipment may be forfeited.

In addition to the arrests, wildlife officers conducted a search of Ardick Seafood in Lorain County where they seized business records and 112 pounds of yellow perch.

"This investigation was initiated after numerous poaching complaints were received through the Turn-In-a-Poacher (TIP) hotline from hunters in the Lorain County area," said Daniel T. Schneider, law enforcement executive administrator for the Division of Wildlife. "We have received information for several years with reference to these individuals, and were able to place officers undercover because of this information. We were given a unique opportunity to strike a blow against poaching in this community and send a strong message that this activity will not tolerated.”

Established in 1982, the TIP program allows Ohioans to call toll free, from anywhere in the state, to report wildlife violations. Calls can be placed anonymously at 1-800-POACHER (800-762-2437) or through the Division of Wildlife’s website at <http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/contact/tipform.htm>.

-30-

EDITORS NOTE: Names of the individuals arrested and the number and nature of charges pending against them are listed below:

Scott E. Bruegger, 42, Avon Lake, OH

9- Taking more than the legal limit of yellow perch

2- Taking more than the legal limit of walleye

1- Taking two antlered deer in one season

1- Failure to attach a temporary tag to a deer

1- Failure to report deer to a deer check station

1-Hunting deer without a valid deer permit

Lynn H. Bolling, 61, Avon, OH

8- Taking more than the legal limit of yellow perch

Elam G. Bruegger, 69, Avon Lake, OH

2- Taking more than the legal limit of yellow perch

Thomas Puskarich, 53, Elyria, OH

1- Taking more than the legal limit of yellow perch

Christina L. Kulik, 37, Avon Lake, OH

Brian A. Coy, 42, Avon Lake, OH

Dave A. Frey, 49, Avon Lake, OH

2- Hunting deer with out a valid deer permit.

Eric J. Schatschneider, 44, Avon, OH

1- Hunting deer without a valid deer permit

1- Hunting deer with a shotgun during muzzleloader weapons season.

1- Hunting deer with buck shot during muzzleloader weapons season

Sean A. Boutin, 34, Avon Lake, OH

David B. Richmond, 56, Athens, OH

1-Checking in a deer killed by another person

Terrence J. Urig, 46, Avon, OH

Hugh Donald Nagel, 53, Avon, OH

Ardick Seafood, Lorain, OH

- Search warrant served on business. Charges Pending

2. Thanks for the read Carl. That is scary stuff as I recognize a few of those names as being well known Erie fisherman and I believe that one name is a PWT pro or at least they share the same name and city of residence. Not cool is all I can say.

Scott

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Why do some people have to test the system. Just do what is legal and you have nothing to worry about.

4. catking

catking Banned

Shame, Shame, Shame........... The best thing that can happen is to publish their names and people might reconize some of them. A steep price to pay for a little extra fish/venison........ Thanks Carl.......... C.K

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I hope they serve time, and not get off with a slap on the wrist.

6. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Team Bass Xtreme

Hope they get the Rick James, "FIVE FINGERS TO THE FACE.....SLAP!!!" :D This enrages me.... :mad: :mad: BD

7. Fishin' Coach

Fishin' Coach Wall I ETR

I think the fines are too lenient to repeat offenders... Not to say some don't make a mistake now and then, But if you hibitually abuse the system they shoud hang your butt from the yard arm...
    Stealing our natural resources is no different than coming in my house and stealing from me... In which case I'd give em' a little more trhan a slap on the wrist! :mad: