Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I drove by the willard res yesterday, I noticed a green truck sitting on top by the launch. As I approached the top, I could see the truck was an ODNR vehicle (possibly the game warden) with an empty trailer. I looked out onto the res to see a boat moving using an outboard motor (which I thought was prohibited). Any ideas what they were doing? I didn't have time to stick around or I would have found out myself.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Could have been shocking for a fish count? About 10 years ago my Dad and I were on findlay res and a GW pulls up in a boat with a 75 hp motor on it. Dad asked him about and and he just blushed and said they don't open them all the way up. Guess it's kinda like the police driving 90mph up behind you to give you a ticket for going 65mph in a 55mph zone.

·
KrustyDawg
2,632 Posts
I am originally from Willard and can remember ODNR doing their creel net surveys out there in the spring, so I would assume this what they were doing. It is electric only, as this is the water source for the surrounding communities. They are the law, they can do what they want I guess including using gas o/b in an electric only body of water.
Definitely not checking duck boxes, this res. is not a wetland, it is an upground impoundment that gets deep immediately off shore.

·
I fish therefore I am!!
759 Posts
yes the odnr superceeds any written rule posted on any state body of water such as speed limits, outboard limits, safety gear, you name they break it thats just how it is..... oh ya and they like to leave thier damn truck and trailer on the ramp so no one else can use it. i had an experience last fall at veterans memorial in fotroit where i was ticketed for not having the proper safety gear in my boat. which was quite ironic because the warden sure didnt have his either . but who am i to say anything???

·
KrustyDawg
2,632 Posts
yeah krusty...you probally remember (like i do) that the odnr was frequently seen there...but you'd always see them in the spring doing the nets...

been there lately?
I ice fished it a few times this past winter.;) I have only fished the soft water a couple times in the past several years. A lot of good memories there growing up as I am sure you have plenty also. I can remember seeing you and your Dad out there in the aluminum jerkin' perch !

·
Registered
196 Posts
next time you see them take a look at the boat and the gear they have and stop and talk with them to see what they are doing. then ask your self if that type of sampling could be done with a trolling motor. a lot of times they need to strech nets, let alone push the boat, it would take forever to do what they do with a trolling motor. just my .02

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Not just perchin....

JUMBO perchin...

those were some NICE yellows...

those were the days my friend...

??? lol. i'm guessing there were some good perch in there. that or he's still living in margaritaville. lol :D:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.