Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am on my way to work drive by Alum see a DNR truck and electro fishing boat in the water. I Think great, State must of contacted Musky CLubs and asked for 50 volunteers to help rescue the muskies and take them back up to the lake. No four well intended workers 2 in the boat two on land. Watch them drag the jon-boat over the 100yrd stretch of rocks to the face of the dam. They turn on the power puff goes the muskies. They Cram 8 or 9 in a rain barrel. Then turn around to drop them off. added weight to the boat causes delay in getting the boat over the rocks now the fish are clearly stessed from the lack of oxygen and being shocked. Now up the walkway into another rain barrel and up to the lake. I am sure you will see plenty floating around the ramp tonight and all weekend. They just started so go see the slaughter for yourself. I counted 52 muskies from on top of the wall. Why wouldn't the state ask Musky lovers to help??:confused:

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
This is gonna be a good one....
Did you verify how many were dead or just still in shock?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
maybe they had oxygen tabs in the barrells? either way, sounds like there are plenty of them... I'd have just been interested in seeing how big some of the bass and saugeye were in there.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Im happy to hear they are atleast makeing an atempt. They could just let them all stay down there and suffer. This is just my opinion though. Im sure there are better ways of going about it but the only way they will learn is through trial and error. At least there trying? right?
Bobby
btw i drove by tuesday afternoon and saw aroun 60 muskies in that little hole, and they looked lathargic and misrebale, trying to jump up the dam wall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am all for the rescue, just think alot more manpower/volunteers would cut down on the mortality.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Maybe I should take a trip down there and pick out a nice one for my wall?

Just kidding......

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
I wonder if they would let us eat em? It would save me from spending the rest of the week catching bass for this fish fry on Monday...

·
Registered
507 Posts
You should have told the rangers how you felt about them doing a poor job lol or mabey you could have asked them if they needed a hand ? ? ? ? ?

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
They are making an effort to save some of them from the high heat/shallow water and of course the snaggers and bow hunters. Some of them will probably die. You'd think game fish were the offspring around this site sometimes.

·
Banned
1,088 Posts
So, if they leave them trapped in there it's a bad thing and if they try to save a few it's a bad thing.

Volunteering with DOW is a little more complicated than just calling some boys up on the phone. I'm sure release forms would need signed. Alot of hassle for something they can do themselves. Plus they would not have to deal with 50 armchair quarterbacks telling how to do it.

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
They're getting some of the musky out of that barrel. i'm very glad to hear that. a buddy of mine went out on the shock boat near Zanesville a few weeks ago with the DNR and the fish stay stunned for a while. It's very possible that the fish were still banged up from the shock

·
Set The Hook`
4,215 Posts
Everything is done and inteded for a reason. They stay they eventually die....ODNR makes an effort on removing them and placing them back in the lake at least gives them a valued effort in attempting to rescue them....yes it probably could have been done in a fashioned order but possibly the two guys were all they had with everything else they are dealing with and that was the smartest/safest route they could do with just the two....also once you get "outsiders" involved who is not part of dnr there runs into safety issues and such so thats probably why they did not ask for Volunteers.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,218 Posts
I have been critical of the ODNR in the past especially in regard to the muskie program. However, I must commend them for this effort. I greatly appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts