close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OBX fishing Emerald Isle Help?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by gotwipers, May 24, 2007.

1. Short notice I know but I have gotten nothing on the saltwater sites, so I will ask if anyone knows about fishing the area. I will be fishing Ft. Macon and Atlantic Beach. Emerald Isle is close but it gets too crowded to fish. Any help will be useful.....Oh yeah we are leaving in @ 11 hrs LOL!!

2. fisharder

fisharder fisharder

Take a short ferry ride and spend the day at the island. It has some of the best beaches for surf fishing.Good beaches to drive on also if you have a 4WD.I go to OBX twice every summer and try to spend a least one or two days on the Island each time I go.The red drum bite is hot right now and they have been catching monster blue fish also.The cobia will show up any time now so you couldn`t go at a better time.Drive safe and good luck.:D

3. thanks for the info. I do have and am driving my 4wd down so I should be able to fish the beaches. I'll let ya know how it went! Thx again.:D

4. Book

Book

I've been going to EI on vacation for the past several years and surf fish as much as I can. I'm no expert, but manage a few fish each year. Was able to land a nice 8 lb Hatteras Blue last year. There's a good tackle store in EI called Reel Outdoors. Good spot to get gear and advice. Also check out the fish they're catching at the pier...

http://www.bogueinletpier.com/

I'll be there the week of June 11. Can't wait. Good luck!

Book

5. if you try and go to okracoke from the south by fairy you need
    a reservation and i believe it is about a 2 to 4 hour ride. i think it leaves
    from swan quarter, dont remember exactly cause its been about 10
    years since i've come from that way

6. Well guys, as usual nothin went as planned. Had a great vacation, but only got to fish one day for about 5 hours during low tide. I saw 2 spanish mackeral caught, MAN what a fish. The guy I was fishing next to caught about a 2-3 lb fish and I realized why he told me to loosen up my drag. He told me a spanish cruises around at 40 mph or something and can explode to 60 mph to hit your bait! I don't know about the other stuiff but the guy got smoked! I was loving it. I fished off the rock jetty at ft. macon, but should have went to the pier. I guess that morning guys were killin the spanish....oh well I will be back for more.

Oh yeah also got to go crabbin for the first time, that was a cool experience. Alot of work for a little bit of meat, but man is it good stuff! Thx again for the advice and tips.

7. Hi all, I just arrived at emerald isle w/ some family on a vacation. Well there are a few fisherman among us but none of us know anything about saltwater fishing. Myself I'm a trout fisherman, from the mountains of NC. Anyway I'm looking for any kinds of tips on fishing the coastal waters I can get. Pier, surf, ocean side, sound side, inlets, brackish water, or whatever. We are mainly looking for any kind of fish we can catch for maximum fun. Also something we can take home in a decent enuf quantity to get a good fish meal out of it for our group. We all have spinning surf rods & I would love to hear some tips on where to fish & what bait to use. Thx in advance to all you helpful fishermen & women! :)

8. hey there! Small world. Try the pier @ emerald isle. I talked with a few guys and they were killing the Spanish mackeral and bluefish. I am a rookie too so I asked around and found that most guys were throwing a gotcha plug (smaller sizes), and spoons (gold). I fished off of the rock jetty at Ft. Macon. If you go there try and throw into the big current seam, it is way out here but with the gotcha plug you should be able to hit it. Fish off of the right side of the rock jetty for spanish and blues, and the sound side for trout. If you have any small twister tails and 1 oz. jig heads use them on the sound side for trout. Fish High tide and don't go to fort macon park until at least 7:30 a.m. because all of the gates will be locked up. I think I heard the pier @ emerald is a 24 hr. pier (your pier fees include your liscense too). I saw 2 spanish caught off of the rocks and I will tell you this, there ain't no trout gonna give you the run these things do. A guy I fished around and talked with said they will hit your bait at 50 mph so set your drag loose and hang on! He also said they are great on the grill! Like I said I am a rookie at Ocean fishing, this is a quick rundown of what I learned from talking to other guys and from other web sites. I hope you do better than I did and post some pics I you do any good. You can pm me also if you want. GW

9. fisharder

fisharder fisharder

I am going down to buxton this weekend just it time for the cobia.The resort I stay at added internet access to all the cottages beach houses and villas so I am packing my lap top with me.If I get lucky enough to catch anything photo worthy I will post it.I fish about everyday I am there weather permitting.[​IMG]

10. Book

Book

Just returned from another family vacation at Emerald Isle, NC. Was lucky enough to have my brother hull up his 23 ft. Ranger center console from Hilton Head, SC for some near shore fishing. We headed out Bogue Inlet 3 times during the week and hit some artificial reefs anywhere from 2 to 5 miles out. The guys from Reel Outdoors tackle shop on Emerald Isle hooked us up with some hot spots. We managed to land 7 King Mackerel with the biggest running 34 inches. Those Kings really hit when you’re tolling! I can't wait until next year.

Book

Attached Files:

• King.jpg
      King.jpg
      File size:
      56.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Nice fish, I will get one sooner or later hopefully not later:rolleyes:. I always thought ocean fishing was not for me, until I made my first cast. Congrats!