Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I'm talking about the fish not the people for once!!! Have had a pretty bang up past two weeks since I got back from Spain and boy did I miss those smallies. Hit spots all over the place almost everyday and got into some nice ones each day. Got some bonus eyes down south on a certain river as well.

I got most the good ones crawlin and bouncin tubes in many types of water, mainly used small 2.5" stubbies on size 2 worm hooks texas rigged. They are really getting fat on crays right now so get out and get yourself self.

Put my buddy on his PB

Little Football

Sorry for all the pics, damn fish are just so pretty. Am working on getting a Spain report from summer and spring N. Mich trip up. Just got up to N. Mich today too and picked up the new gopro on the way up. Excited to get some taildancing smallies on video!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow! Nice river smallies! Must be a different river than I fish because fish that size are few and far between in my flow. Tubes are killing it right now, I do know that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Wow very nice!! What's the size of the biggest? Looks like you may have a couple 18 inchers there?

·
Registered
377 Posts
So you rig them on worm hooks and not jig heads? I literally started fishing tubes two weeks ago so I have a lot to learn! I have learned that 1/8 jigs are too heavy and I lost several in a matter of minutes! What about EWG hooks?...I considered that today.

·
Registered
180 Posts
try a Lazer Sharp shaw grigsby hp tube hook. it looks like a shiner hook, ive seen it called a kahle hook too but it has a little wire clip at the top. Cut your tube from the bottom up leaving about 1/4" uncut from the top. texas rig it using the clip to come up under the cut. It holds you tube in place preventing it from sliding down the hook and the cut allows the hook to penetrate without going through hardly any plastic. You will hook up 95% of the time, often with a tube and a EWG hook regardless of how wide of a gap the tube with ball up resulting in poor hook penetration or none at all. Ive had my heart broken many times due to it. Last year i was fishing a BFL as a co angler i had 4 fish and set the hook on a ~3# fish it came up and threw my tube, that fish would have put me in the top 3. My boater showed me this way of rigging it and i have won alot of money on it since including a bfl later that year on the ohio river.

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
Beautiful!....Where did you catch those? I don't want your spot, just what bridges you get in at and which direction you head.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've been fishing with him as well and would like to share other fish caught ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378243597.297489.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378243611.539658.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378243627.753739.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378243654.586986.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378243671.435420.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378243693.486046.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378243716.423551.jpg
oh yeah and for all you smallie nuts if you ever get a chance go to lake st Clair in Michigan here is a couple of the numerous I caught ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378243798.135755.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378243811.304349.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Wish I could wade but those days may be over forever, knee getting replaced Oct. 10
deaf in one ear so I have lost my balance. Went to Erie and could not stand up on the boat glad to see someone is catching fish.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the comments guys. I was about to say it is the start of football season mushi hahaha. We didnt get a good measure on the biggest one because my buddy just released right after the picture he was so shocked!! It was the first fish that had given him the "shakes" and it gave him a big grin for days. I think I was about as happy as he was as he said at the end it around double the size of anything he had caught this year and he caught more fish in a day than he ever had, including many nice ones. Had a few fish from that day that were 17-18" and it was definitely a couple inches bigger (im thinkin it was a fo). Pictures are from a few trips but I am mainly solo so it is hard to get good pics!

FL-Boy ye I rig them on ewg worm hooks generally with an 1/8th ounce bullet weight above texas rigged. Size 2 hook for 2.5 stubbies, 2 or 1/0 for venom finesse, 3/0 for 4 inchers. I like jig heads but they get caught to much for my liking. I like 614s idea of cutting the tube and think it would help to get a lot of missed hooksets which will happen texas rigging. I take it you fish the tangy quite a bit FL? There are some really nice fish it there but yeah it is tough to slam multiple big ones in a day. One of my favorite rivers though because it is so easy to walk and shallow so you can sight and fly fish. Although I have been neglecting the fly rod since I have gotten back. Comin out for bass when I get back.

Leupy I hope you can heal up and get out fishing. I feel you on the knee I have had my whole left one repaired a year ago and it already gets worked up sometimes. I always say im 23 with the knee of 53 year old.

Here are some bonus eyes. I also caught a handful of crappie on a ssr and the little eye pictured fishing some riffles at night. I hooked into something massive too but was on the phone and didn't get a solid hookset!! The beasts always hit when you aren't ready.

Like his attitude, will be obese one day

Couple more smallies from the two days before I left. First one was a first cast fish, gotta love startin the day right.

·
Kayak Fishing's Most Wanted
944 Posts
gotta love those scioto bronzebacks!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts