close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oahu, Hawaii!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Sluggo, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Well, I work construction and we have been hired to frame 2 steel frame homes on the North Shore of Oahu in Hawaii! We will be there for 5 weeks. Just wondering if anyone knows if the fishing is worth a shot there. Salt or Freshwater? Best places, guides, etc. I will probably just catch a buzz and some sunburn!

2. la2ohio

la2ohio L.A.2Ohio

if you are there....try it, nothing lost if you don't get anything. The saltwater fishing is awesome out there...just have to hook up with the locals and ask around on who gets out on the water the earliest. Some guys are nice enough to take people (howli's) out on there own private boats and they know how to fish, just feel them out before going with them. They usually just want some dough for the gas and beer. Originally, I have stayed away from the landings near honolulu as they cater to the tourist who don't care if they catch or just say they went fishing. Find a local fishing shop just outside of Honolulu and ask a bit. Good luck and try shore fishing too, they have a fish down there called Ulua and they can get up to 90 lbs. but if you catch a ten pounder it will fight harder than any bass on steroids. Again, good luck! and ALOHA!:)

3. mirrocraft mike

mirrocraft mike Now in a Alumacraft

Good Luck
    Sounds like a blast even the working part sounds good . Can't wait to read your first report .Never have seen one from Hawaii

4. SALTWATER, bring some of the Bass larger stuff, Musky stuff with ya. Increase if its an easy task the size of your hooks. wire leaders, a GOOD fish mouth - gripper (most got some preety nasty teeth), learn the tides, drive around the Island & its got many reef type jetties that one can walk out on, local piers with cut bait, & frozen shrimp or what they sell in any bait shop. Pier fishing can demand, heavier tackle, (eg: 40/60lb., test, a stout rod. Salt water reel.
    Your best source is the local bait shops to get ya started.

Be sure to rinse of any & all gear, lures, on a religious BASIS after one get done fishing. You'll respect salt water a whole lot more.

5. Fishing is awesome! I took a charter out from Kona. The prices were a lot cheaper than Florida. I had pretty good luck, a 6' striped marlin, 46lb and 26lb Mahi-mahi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]