close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

O-Tangy ???

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by brhoff, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Waded a bit today in the Worthington area...finally got on some fish..couple dozen Rock Bass.

When on Rock Bass, are Smallies near???

Also does the river ever run clear?

Everytime I hit the tangy it is a greenish/brown/frothy color...no rain here for a while. Is this the norm????

One more, are there any legal access points north of High Banks any more?

Thanks.

2. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

It has been the norm ever since I've been in Columbus. I lived in Morrill Tower right next to the Tangy on OSU Campus for a year, then this past year I crossed it everyday to get to campus. I've never seen it any better than it is right now. Always stained.

3. Thanks, I figured so, always seems frothy when I see the Tang

4. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Rock bass and smallies prefer the same habitat, if you find one, you'll find the other. Big walnut is pretty low right now, looks great, flow is below 100, that hasn't happened in awhile.

5. Thanks, I thought so, must have been throwing the wrong stuff for the smallies. Hopefully can get out again before the next rain.

6. Later in the summer, it does get a little clearer and the fishing gets harder. The fish spook easily if you can see more than 6" or so. I have caught the vast majority of fish inside 3 ft. of the rocks on shore. And probably 90% of those within 12". On the rocks you will catch Smallies, Rockies, 'Gill, and Warmouth. I had a great morning on Tuesday from 8 to 10am FFing a very small popper. Look for rocks, 2+ feet of depth, and you should hit some fish.

7. StuckAtHome

I couldn't agree more rweis, I'm turing the big 40 this october , been creek SM fishing nonstop since my nieghbor got me hooked when I was 14, had me get a baitcaster for control so I could place the lure next to the bank EVERYTIME. Now not every fish is tight, but I rarely blind cast, always target casting some piece of cover, seen or felt, only time on the river helps, not saying you don't , just saying. Other biggest error I see all the time, is once a bigger SM hits and misses from a piece of cover, he won't hit again and another big SM won't be sharing his spot, move on after one follow up cast, if its a big piece of cover, this might not be as true. #2 mistake is I only fish less than 10% of a river/creek (not as possible wading) if both banks and bottom mud like and slow current, LM and spots are more likely caught and gills, I'll throw a cast here and there just to be sure I don't miss a rock hump, but I found SM don't like wood/mud/ pure sand, also the active fish will be around eddies, current breaks, isolated rocks, before and after riffles and some water plants. Get the lure on the bank or within 12", your in business.
    Mike

8. I was in the river last weekend farther up north and it wasn't terribly muddy and yucky, but it wasn't great by any means. Fishing was phenominal though, so I didn't care much about the water.
    Farther up north, I'm not sure about the legality of the spots, but there is a handful of places to pull off of 315 or Orange Rd. where you can take a short stroll through some weeds right into the river. I would say to look for some construction sites to pull into on the weekends and you shouldn't have any problems.

9. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

I have to disagree with your comment about only one big fish using a particular spot (tree) because river smallmouth usually hang in packs.
    Good structure needs to be repeatedly hit ...tubes/jigs, wacky worms, floating rapala's/ac. shiners etc. You would be suprised what lies behind the back door.

also you mention that sm dont like sand/wood/mud. not true...they love sand and will use wood if it is the dominate form of cover. this is the case in the hocking. lots of sand and wood down there.

10. Thanks again all, sounds like I was on the right path.

Casting to targets along the shore...yup, that is what I did.

Must have just been missing the Smallies...no big deal, they'll be there another day. And, they should be there when I am done as well, I toss 'em back.

11. I have had good success when you miss a big fish by changing baits and trying the same area again.

12. StuckAtHome

I should clarify. If you hook and miss a fish on a small piece of structure, and he felt the hooks, MOST of the time he won't hit again, if he just mouthed it, different story. And I don't mean wood that in good places, I meant the long slow parts of rivers that are mostly mud, no rocks, if I'm in the yak I'll skip these places and concentrate on better areas, wading you might as well fish it because you can't move as quickly. Also, the primary way I fish is for active fish with medium to large cranks, retrieved fast, cover alot of area, pick up the feeding fish and get alot of reaction bites by making the crank bounce off cover. When that doesn't work( not often) I slow down and use plastics/jigs then I hit cover more like your talking about. I skip the marginal places to hit the best places I can find, I might pass over some fish, but I go for where I think there are more in a smaller area.

13. Alrighty, finally got into some smallies....only got 4 ...no size but got 'em...they were right near the Rock Bass.

All hit on the surface...sneaky pete, poppers in 3 sizes.

all released

14. StuckAtHome

good going! Its funny how the smaller rockies seem to hit like they are HUGE, then give right up and you surf them in. Sm seem to sometimes hit not as hard(sometimes they rip the rod from your hands!) then grow bigger as they feel they are in trouble.

15. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I had a 12" smallie SLAM my spinner on Sunday afternoon and I was sure it was a 18"er or better. Then, I get him to the canoe and I was baffled. Some of them little smallies can sure fool ya!

CG