close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

O/B motor position when trailering?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ohiou_98, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I recently bought a transom saver to install on my trailer. The transom saver can extend outward really far, or I can keep it short. I certainly don't want it too short, and take the risk of hitting the prop on a bump on the road, but how high should I have the motor tilted? What's the rule on the position of the OB when trailering?

2. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

There's really no rule. Just like you stated, keep it high enough to prevent the motor from hitting the ground. Just make sure the motor is supported, and secured. You made a great investment. I made the $400+ mistake years ago when my mount cracked on me. I wish there was a site like this when I was starting out. It could have saved a lot of us money and valuable lessons.

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

What Toxic said. ;)

4. ok....I've got the transom saver installed, but I have 2 questions: When I hit the tilt button on the o/b to lower it into the transom saver, do I let off the button as soon as the motor stops moving. Or, do I keep pressing the button even though the motor isn't going any lower? (To put the entire weight onto the transom saver, or will this break the tilt/trim mechanism?)

And, (2), How can I ensure the motor won't fall to the left or right side when driving (w/ the transom saver installed)? Is it possible this will happen? The reason I ask is because after I lowered the motor down onto the transom saver, I decided to turn the wheel (just to see what would happen), and it freely turned side to side!!! That's no good, cause if it moves that easy, what's to stop it from falling to the left or right when driving?

Thanks for any advice!!!

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

you have to take the motor down far enough to put pressure on the spring inside the transom saver,then it should not turn.provided you have power T&T.

6. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Just trim it down enough to put pressure on it

7. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

But don't run it down until it fully stops going down.

I almost ruined the rubber pads by overflattening them, baring the center rivit ... and know a couple of guys who actually did ruin theirs.

8. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

I would be guilty of that Rumi!

Gene

9. Took a look at the link you posted. That is about the design I need for my boat. How sturdy is the bracket that mounts to the trailer? The picture makes it look pretty flimsy.