Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to head out on my first trip to the Battenkill and a couple of other streams nearby. I'm definately ready to head out. Wife is from the area and am lucky enough to come here every year on vacation. Anyone else ever been? Would like to hear your stories!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I go up to fish the Battenkill every year. Love the whole Manchester/Bennington area. This year I am also going to hit the Walloomsac one of the days as I have never fished it and figure, how bad can fishing a stretch with three covered bridges really be?

What streams do you hit, in addition to the Battenkill?

I typically head up in late September/early October to combine fishing and doing photography (there is nothing quite like Vermont when the leaves change). That time of year also ensures that all the tube/canoe traffic is off the Battenkill.

Last year I went up for Columbus Day which was a bit crazy. The intersection downtown was insane and I like going to Vermont to forget about sitting in traffic so that was a shock.

How is the fishing in June?

·
"FISH,HUNT,LIVE"
173 Posts
i havent been to battenkill, but my grandparents live up in northern NY in potsdam. I was just there last week and fished a whole lot. The water temperature is just right for trout right now. The two rivers i fished were the st.regis and the grasse. In the st.regis i caught quite a few nice rainbows all on price nymphs and i also caught a 16 in hog on a hopper. I fished the grasse for brookies and did really well on drys. When i cleaned one of the brookies i found his stomach was right full of bugs, mostly beetles and stoneflys.I used griffiths gnats and stoneflys and ended up averaging about 10 brookies a day (no, i didnt keep them all, just the ones over 12 inches, so about 4 in all). you should do well up in battenkill, its real close to where i was. Just remmember that when you get there flip over rocks and try and use a sciene net. good luck to you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of my best friends is from Potsdam. So anyway I went out yesterday. The weather was horrible........it rained the whole day....I mean the whole day but I still ended up with a couple. Didn't go to the battenkill but went to the west river in vermont (freestone) ended up catching 4 rainbow (1 wild) all about 12in. except for the wild was about 7in, 1 wild brown also about 6-7 in, and one white fish. Had a blast......couldn't ask for anything more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry.........this is my first time even fishing in this area. I just picked up fly fishing within this past year which makes this experience even better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very cool. I had fly fished for some time but was very bad until I went to Orvis' school in Manchester. My first really succesful fishing was on the Battenkill so that river will always be very special to me.

One of the reasons I love it is the property owners' attitudes toward anglers. At my usual spot to enter the river, the landowners have mowed a path through the field next to their house and put up signs welcoming anglers and just asking that they confine themselves to the path but are otherwise quite welcome to use their land to access the river. I always thought that was very kind.

One weird thing about the Battenkill is the possibility of being the subject of tourist videographers and photographers if you are fishing during foliage season. A mini-bus of German tourists saw a friend and I fishing near a bridge and proceeded to spill out of the bus and line the bridge, cameras in hand. The tour guide asked if I could "do the thing from a River Runs Through It" which earned him a dirty look but, like a little organ grinder's monkey, I proceeded to double haul my ass off to try and get enough line in the air to make for good photos. That finally satisfied them and I could go back to the 20 foot casts that were effective, if not quite worthy of being recorded for posterity.

Hope you had a great trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts