close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NY Slamon Trip

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Lundy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

The dates have been set, August 21, 22, 23, 24

The trip is to Point Breeze NY for salmon.

We are staying at Dollingers Motel, 1-585-589-6411, in Albion again.

I will be there with my two sons. Het and Shortdrift will be there with their boats and crews. I believe EE and crew is going to try and make it again this year. I think there are a couple other boats that may join us also, including Woody of Cranberry Creek Marina.

How about you Pappascott, when are you going this year?

If you want to join us make reservations soon.

Kim

[​IMG]

2. We do a lot of fishing up there in the fall for salmon and brown trout. Nothing like catching a 25 lb king on a 8 wt fly rod! Have fun catching some fresh silver kings.

Attached Files:

3. I will check those dates Kim. I need to watch the time off, these tournaments are really testing the wives patience. But then again it is during the LOC so what is one more tournament? Do you know how much the rooms are? I am so used to staying at 4-Cs and the ramp and bar and everything within crawling distance.

4. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

I am scheduled to be up there from late 8/20 through 8/24, but that may change if the job scene requires it. We are staying at 4-C's and will charter 2 days (8/21 & 8/22) and fish out of my boat 2 days (8/23 & 8/24).

5. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

How many do you have?

Rooms were $75/night last year.

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Couldn't have had a better time last trip.

Attached Files:

7. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Here's a few pictures that should get your mouth watering, if Het's great pics didn't...just an average size that time of the year :p

Got me fired up and still many weeks away!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I go to Ludington,MI in mid August. I am wondering how many you catch per day there, What you use for lures, how far out to get to these fish and if camping is local? Is it just like ludington? Is the bite mainly in the early morning and evening? Looks like alot of big fish!

Thanks
    Rod

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Last year we (my boat) averaged six fish each day. Lundy said that it was the worst fishing he had seen in a few years (we were very happy with the amount we boated). We were 'newbies', so we had a lot of hookups that we didn't capitalize on.

As for how far you have to travel out to get the fish, it changed each day. One day we were getting them a 1/4 mile offshore, the next day we had to go nine miles out to find them. It all depends on the water temps, which can change drastically over night, due to the winds and the extreme depths of the water.

I'll add that as far as cost for the trip goes, I took $500 with me, and came home with about $75. We ate well. We went to a local prime rib joint that has the best beef on the planet three times, which cost about $30 a meal.

I would guarantee anyone that is thinking about making the trip that you will be hard pressed to find a funner fishing trip.

Attached Files:

10. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I fished Ludington two years ago from my boat. A good friend of mine charters there each summer.

You will not typically catch the numbers that you will catch in Ludington however the chance to catch numerous 25 lb plus is really good. 3o lb plus are caught everyday by someone and to place in the derbies they will be 35lb and up typically. You can't catch those in Ludington.

When I was in Ludington it was an absolute zoo! Way, way too many boats for my likes. Where we fish there is normally plenty of elbow room and it easy to get off completly by your self if you desire.

In ludington is was a very early morning and late evening, even after dark bite. We catch fish all day in Lake Ontario with certainly early and late being the best times. The water is deeper, we fish as shallow as 50-75 ft but most is in 100 - 300 ft. Depending in the temp breaks of course

Fishing is normally with 1-5 miles of the harbor. It is unusual to need to go any further.

You will lose more days to weather at Ludington that you will at Point Breeze. Ludington is on the west shore, Point Breeze is on the south shore. The deeper water also does not get as choppy as quickly, more rollers.

Lures are the same for the most part. My best last year was a flasher fly combo on a wire line dipsy. Other trips its been spoons on the riggers, who knows, it all works. The moonshines were hot last year as far as spoons went for us, especially late evening.

It is not commercialized, there are not many hotels, and no Mcdonalds or Wendys within 10 miles of the ramps. I couple of small local bar restaurants is all you have real close. We stay in Albion, 10 miles, for the hotels (with AC) restaurants, gas, ice, etc, etc

check out www.attheoak.com for local daily reports and fishing lure information.

I choose to go there for the quiet relaxation and the bigger fish. I tried Ludington, caught fish, but it was just too hectic for my tastes.

Kim

My oldest son's first trip with me.
    [​IMG]

11. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Son's wife[​IMG]

Brother with a laker that would have been in the top 3 of the derby, had we entered.

[​IMG]

old pic of me with a 30 lb+ king
    [​IMG]

12. ErieAngler

ErieAngler Still Deadly w/ The Net

I want to go SOOOO BAD! Could I get this done with size 27 reels, 30lb PP for dipsys and 20 lb floro for riggers?

If I would be disadvantaged with this set up maybe I just try to forget we ever talked about this and I try to up my arsenal for next year with a couple bigger reels and wire line.

Ive caught a lot of kings and coho in the michigan rivers and that is a blast, I cant even imagine what its like to catch a healthy silver fish out in open water. These pictures are killing me!

13. Size 27 dipsey reels are ok, IF, you have alot of braid on them. First year I went with my size 30 convectors with 150 yds of power pro. It was not enough line and the first fish on each rod had me into the backing and broke off a few because of that. I now have 300 yds on my diver reels and 1000ft of wire on my wire diver reels. Rigger reels I use daiwa 47h, same as 47lc but no counter, full to the top with 20lb big game or Ande. These are about as small as I would go. I have not been spooled yet but have had to pull lines and chase a few!!!!!!

14. also it depends on how deep the fish are. sometimes as deep as 100-130ft on the downrigger. usually 50-75 ft down. Wire line on the diver rods is pretty important to use if you want to consistently reach the fish and keep the water fleas off of your line. There are times though that the cool water is near the surface and you can catch the fish in the 25-35 ft range. Sometimes it changes constantly so a speed and temperature sensor on the rigger keeps you on the fish alot of times.

15. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

27's are fine. That's what I used last year. If you hook a ginormous King, you'll probably have to turn the boat and follow him (after pulling all your other rigs).

The last thing you want to do is use Power Pro. We used it last year, and after a few hours, we went to the nearest bait shop and had wire line spooled on the reels (the dipsy rods). After reeling in 30 or so feet of Power Pro, there will be a ball of fleas the size of a golf ball at your first rod guide, and you literally can't reel any more. I used 20# Big game on my rigger rods, and never had a problem with the fleas.

You will also want to add Twilly Tips to your diver rods. These are made to use on rods with wire line.

16. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Lundy Potter

Attached Files:

17. Fella's....Awesome pics.. i'm a lickin my chops here....

Kgone just left the house.... and got me all pumped up... i beleive we too shall be makin the The Trip to NY ..... My first time ever....

our downriggers Kev got should be on the boat with a week or so ... time to get ruined.... as Scott says...

Frank

18. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

They're not all monsters.

Attached Files:

19. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!!!!!!

20. LOL.... what is that little Ron is holding... but hey .. its s till a fish!!!

You Betcha!