Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone's favorite bait is for casting into, and along side of thick weed beds. Just trying to get some feedback. thanks.

·
Trophy Tamer
1,480 Posts
Safety-Pin style spinnerbait, like a bucher slopmaster, M & G, or Llungen Nut buster. Also, if the weeds aren't that thick you can get away with a suick. They push their way through the weeds. It's doug johnson's favorite weed bait of all time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Leaving the dance with who brought me...Spinnerbait! Like Jim says, M&Gs, I like Grim Reapers too and I even throw Terminators in the Spring. Suicks like he said work too, and since you said along the side and not through the Weeds, even Dawgs worked vertically.

·
Trophy Tamer
1,480 Posts
Marshall, never tried them in the weeds, but I love me a hellhound. I caught a fish on one on Saturday, jailbird! They're sweet baits for the price.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Agree with the rest spinnerbait. (I prefer Slopmaster) Also if conditions are right use a topwater.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have found chatterbiats to work exceptionally well in/around weeds for pike, and I caught a musky on my first cast with one a few weeks ago. I had casted a big weed bed with multiple lures for about 30 minutes....switched to a chatterbait....and he slammed it on the first cast. Not sure if it was the lure or just luck, but I'll take it!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Jim, I have moved a good number of fish out of weedbeds this year on hellhounds. They dart in and out of the weeds sometimes and its amazing how they don't hang up. Have you found the hook up ratio on hellhounds isn't very good? I've landed two on them this year and lost 4 or 5. Cisco and Carp are my colors.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys i appreciate the input. SNF what kind of bait is that? or is it a custom. it looks awsome. I like the round nose. We've casted suicks and spinners into weeds before, with minimal success, however we've never really put in alot of time in it. I like the way a suick darts in and out. sounds like em hellhounds are pretty popular in weeds as well. looks like i'm gunna have to do some more online bait shopping. thanks again.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,215 Posts
I thought it was a reef hawg. Looks very similar. I am not a big fan of jerkbaits or really any WTD style bait. It may just be that I don't have enough experience with them to have developed any kind of confidence in them.

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
WTD? I'm assuming that means "walk the dog" It is not a top water bait, but it does essentially walk the dog but under the water....I can generally work that bait down to almost 8'.

I personally think the two most effective attractors to muskies are the vibration of a spinner and the flash/dart of a jerkbait. The jerkbait just so happens to outproduce for me.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,215 Posts
WTD? I'm assuming that means "walk the dog" It is not a top water bait, but it does essentially walk the dog but under the water....I can generally work that bait down to almost 8'.

I personally think the two most effective attractors to muskies are the vibration of a spinner and the flash/dart of a jerkbait. The jerkbait just so happens to outproduce for me.
Maybe that is part of my problem in that I have been fishing them wrong. I thought with jerkbaits(subsurface) that you are supposed to use a snap/jerk and pause affect when retrieving them similar to what one would do with a topwater bait such as a zara spook.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Leo's are about the closest thing to a Latiano you'll get your hands on for under $200! I've heard of chewed up Lat's going for $400+ on EBAY! -AND THEY(leo's) WORK EVERYWHERE!! So do Latiano's.....;):D

*Slow pulled Suicks are another safe bet!

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Leo's are about the closest thing to a Latiano you'll get your hands on for under $200! I've heard of chewed up Lat's going for $400+ on EBAY! -AND THEY(leo's) WORK EVERYWHERE!! So do Latiano's.....;):D

*Slow pulled Suicks are another safe bet!

I got a bunch of those Latiano's and various other lures of his...all put away now. Mr. Latiano was a good friend and made a lot of neat funky lures....I'll have to take some pictures and post them later since I know some of you would appreciate them.

On the jerk...it is a jerk and pause method....the quicker you work the bait, the deeper it can go...the more of a pause, the shallower it will stay. Very versitile baits for shallow or deeper drop offs and weed edges. They sure do attract those fish to strike....Nothing like feeling one hit in mid jerk using spectra braided line, thats for sure!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts