close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Now I know...

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by TexasJon, Aug 6, 2008.

1. TexasJon

TexasJon Jon

why people spend 900 bucks on a fly rod! Just got me a combo (not $900!) and I went out for the first time this evening. It was a blast! Caught 4 smallmouth, 4 rock bass and 2 perch. These smallmouth were also my first ever to catch. All fish on topwater in olentangy. Is the Scioto river good for fly fishing as well?? If anyone has any suggestions for a beginner it would be appreciated. Thanks:)

2. Texasjon, welcome to the addiction.:) You don't have to spend very much to get a decent outfit. All that matters is you have fun with what you can afford.
    Get some Woolly Buggers, they're always good for a few fish.

3. TJ - Welcome! Yes, the Scioto is good for FFing. What kind of suggestions are you looking for? Flies? Casting? Places to fish? 3 general suggestions - stop in and meet the staff at MRO, take a casting lesson, and PRACTICE (with a leader and over grass or water).

4. Tex, Maybe mosey up North on Rt.71 to Bellville next Wed. nite, take the Rt. 97 get off, proceed to Bellville. After you cross the river look to the West and you'll see the American Legion pavillion....turn around and go there. The Mohican Fly Fishers will be there, regular meeting night, and we share what we know.
    It's my turn for our fly tying demo, and I'll be doing a Leukon (White Mayfly) which is due to come on in a week or two.
    Cheers,
    R

5. TexasJon

TexasJon Jon

Thanks for the invitation, but I will be out of state next week.

6. The Scioto is very good for fly fishing. It is much wider than the Olentangy and contains more gravel bottom areas than the Olentangy. On the Scioto I mainly use large dry flys, streamers and clousers where on the Olentangy I use smaller drys, streamers and nymphs. If both rivers are blown out and the fishing bug is biting there is Antrium Lake right down the road.