Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, I know what I am about to do is breaking some unwritten angler code on divulging fishing locations, but I figured I would take a stab that some kind soul would help a fellow angler out with some advice on where to fish in the Great Miami River.

I am from Cincinnati and usually take my little 14 ft fishing boat out to the Grant County Lakes in Northern Kentucky or East Fork Lake/Acton Lake/Cowan Lake. Until last weekend I have never fished in either the Great Miami River or the Little Miami River. I used to love a good wade fish but with so few creeks around here worth a damn I have been mainly boat fishing for many years (don't feel like the 3 hour round trip drive to Brush Creek which was one of my favorite places to wade fish many years ago).

Anyway, the spot I found last weekend to fish the GMR I located on Google Earth by just looking at roads that are close to the GMR for parking and access. I found a spot in Franklin where Rt 122 meets Rt 73. From here I was able to walk down to the river and wade fish maybe a 1/2 of a mile stretch. It is kind of by the Twin Creeks Metropark area and the railroad bridge that crosses the river there (for those fellow Google Earthers).

My question, after this long intro, is where is a good place to park and get access to the Great Miami River where you can wade fish a ways and not have to worry about, you know, stepping in a deep hole and being swept away by the currents? I don't even know where to begin to look and nobody on these posts really gives any indication as to what stretch of the river is wade fishing a real possibility.

I also have a similar query about access and wade fishing areas of the Little Miami River.

I did manage to catch 5 small mouths (2 were over 15 inches) and 3 catfish on a Bomber Square A going in blind... so now I think I might be hooked on this Great Miami River fishing if I can find a good stretch to fish that doesn't require a canoe or something on that order.

Thanks to any and all who will reply here.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes, I know what I am about to do is breaking some unwritten angler code on divulging fishing locations, but I figured I would take a stab that some kind soul would help a fellow angler out with some advice on where to fish in the Great Miami River.

I am from Cincinnati and usually take my little 14 ft fishing boat out to the Grant County Lakes in Northern Kentucky or East Fork Lake/Acton Lake/Cowan Lake. Until last weekend I have never fished in either the Great Miami River or the Little Miami River. I used to love a good wade fish but with so few creeks around here worth a damn I have been mainly boat fishing for many years (don't feel like the 3 hour round trip drive to Brush Creek which was one of my favorite places to wade fish many years ago).

Anyway, the spot I found last weekend to fish the GMR I located on Google Earth by just looking at roads that are close to the GMR for parking and access. I found a spot in Franklin where Rt 122 meets Rt 73. From here I was able to walk down to the river and wade fish maybe a 1/2 of a mile stretch. It is kind of by the Twin Creeks Metropark area and the railroad bridge that crosses the river there (for those fellow Google Earthers).

My question, after this long intro, is where is a good place to park and get access to the Great Miami River where you can wade fish a ways and not have to worry about, you know, stepping in a deep hole and being swept away by the currents? I don't even know where to begin to look and nobody on these posts really gives any indication as to what stretch of the river is wade fishing a real possibility.

I also have a similar query about access and wade fishing areas of the Little Miami River.

I did manage to catch 5 small mouths (2 were over 15 inches) and 3 catfish on a Bomber Square A going in blind... so now I think I might be hooked on this Great Miami River fishing if I can find a good stretch to fish that doesn't require a canoe or something on that order.

Thanks to any and all who will reply here.
Fish the lower dam in hamilton

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
There are a couple parks along East Miami River Road that I've done ok at, and as BMayhall mentioned there's the dam in Hamilton. Those are a couple options closer to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts