Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search for anything on Google these days and the first dozen or so hits will be selling something related to it. After you wade through that, you get some legitimate hits like wiki entries, then it goes back to advertiisements. What's more, the top few links point to other search engines whose top few links lead to other search engines, etc., each opening a new window.

There is a marketing ploy called "search engine optimization" where the goal is to have your site rank as high as possible in the list of search results. Those spots are being grabbed (bought) by other search engines who are selling their top spots to other search engines who are selling their top spots ... on and on.

I thought I'd try Bing instead, but it's the same thing.

On YouTube, more and more videos about whatever now start with a commercial for something and you can't fast-forward through it. Time to just let it run its course while you leave the room to do whatever, and come back in a minute to watch whatever it was you wanted. On top of that, the videos are suddenly interrupted by more ads that you can't avoid.

Font Text Graphic design Diagram Line

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I was just reading an article about something similar to this yesterday, but it dealt with sports media. It was talking about advertising in sports media, particularly youtube videos and podcasts vs. print media. It was talking about how Sports Illustrated used to charge a premium for full page ads and because there was only so many full page ads, companies would pay ridiculous amounts because of the subscriber base and limited quantity.

Fast forward to today, advertising is more about quantity vs. quality. Sports Illustrated subscriber base is way down and so are their ad revenues. Most companies have gone to sports media outlets on the internet because there is essentially unlimited space. They can imbed ads that rotate every so many minutes and can switch ads in and out from different companies based on your search history. As long as the video or podcast gets so many clicks, thats all the sponsors care about, even if the public doesn't see or hear their ad.

The issue is that we are so used to getting bombarded by ads on the internet, whether its pop-ups or in videos, that we have come to totally ignore them. I can honestly say, I have never purposely clicked on an ad for anything. Thats not the point though, they are still getting their product in front of your face and thats all they care about.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
You can't just search for information without (wading) through false information or misdirection. Sometimes you can't email certain places or companies, they just don't want to hear or deal with the public.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Google used to be fast and easy... now days it takes more finesse... and patience. These days more than ever, it's just about the money.
Dave Mathews song "Too Much" comes to mind.

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a movie titled Brazil, too strange to explain here, but there are scenes when they're on the open road and it's nothing but billboards on both sides. In one scene the camera pulls back to reveal the road is like a corridor framed by unbroken walls of advertisements, and behind those there is nothing but a barren wasteland.

That's what being online is beginning to feel like for me.

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,259 Posts
you know that You Tube is owned by Google, right? anything you search for or watch there goes to that big server in the sky and has your IP# on it :( God forbid if you ever check one of those "click here to get special offers that's exclusively for you" boxes … they're just whores about it, they then sell that information to anyone who is willing to pay for it :rolleyes: rotate ads in that they think are relevant to your query or show and voila, they make mega $$$ and you get to sort thru all manner of BS that if you wanted any info on it you'd have Googled that in the first place … they don't waste any time either, I've gotten ads DURING my extended search … unfortunately, that's the direction we're heading, everything is a canvas for ads, before you know if, when you close the door on a toilet stall they'll have a little TV screen on the back of the door and you'll be a captive audience getting ads for after shave, toilet paper and hemorrhoid crème :eek: and for the girls entertainment, the list of feminine products is extensive ... AND, you won't be leaving for a few minutes, just imagine the possibilities :D I've seen some ads for software that's supposed to stop all the random ads but not sure of cost or how effective those are, I'd hate to pay a small fortune for something that works for a month until Google figures out a work around ...

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,259 Posts
Just now noticing this? Did you think they were providing services to you out of charity?
well, no but it seems like in the last few months they have ramped it up considerably ... how did they do it the last few years w/o all those ads? here's how, they had "crawlers" (not the big fat juicy wiggly ones :p) and ads on the side of the column, and they managed to become who they are doing that … Why do they have the right to sell my PRIVATE surfing info to anyone??? make no mistake, they are in bed w/the govt., how would you like it if they sent Big Brother info that you were looking to buy a gun … or anything else for that matter … it's nobody's business but mine what I want to watch or research, if I want to learn about their products I will but I resent them thinking they own my searches ... Google didn't get to the 800# elephant being nice, the guy that owns it fires people who speak anything but "liberalese" …

·
Not in Kansas anymore...
606 Posts
I thought, how about something no one would uy? So I tried"skunk" to see what comes up. The first hot points to Reference.com, seems like a legitimate inormation source. Click that, and

View attachment 291575
Alex - I'm no pro at SEO or general search, but I wonder if you've got some sort of add-in, malware, etc. going on. I don't typically see links to other search engines in my Google results and I was curious about your post, so I tried it. Googled: "how do you trap a skunk" and got the following:

Text Font Web page Screenshot Line
Text Web page Font Screenshot Website

Reactions: jl106112

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just now I wanted to check a Chase Bank balance online. But first I had to wade past 12 entries about "get the best rates" etc. It's like trying to get to your own front door, but first you have to shoulder past a dozen door-to-door salesmen standing in your way.

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man, I'm on it again and it has really deteriorated. I'm trying to find some poems by directly quoting some of their lines. That has always worked in the past, but not now. I get commercial links at first, followed by a few legit sites, then back to a few commercial sites again and that's all. It used to be a mix of mostly legit with some commercial, and the listings would go on page after page forever.

I've got to find a better search engine. The way Google is now, I couldn't do any kind of deep research like I always have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts