close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Norton Internet Security

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by fishintiger, Dec 31, 2004.

1. I need some help. I have NIS 2002. My free trial I got from a friend is up and I want to remove it from my computer to put Trend Micro's PC-cillin on. I can't add PC cillin until NIS is gone but I can't remove NIS. It says I have to have supervisor rights or something to that effect. The thing is there is only one account on my computer and it is the one that I loaded this stupid program on with. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

fishintiger

2. Have you tried renaming the folder it is located in then deleting that?

3. I haven't tried that. I have been trying to remove it with the Add/Remove option. I will try to rename the folder.

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

fishintiger...

Boot XP into safe mode (F8 key before the "Loading Windows XP" screen comes up on boot). If you do this correctly, you'll come to a text menu with some options. Select SAFE MODE and hit <enter>. Booting into safe mode, will give you the option of logging into windows with the hidden administrator account, provided you have the password.

From there, remove it through add/remove...All symantec products chuck a zillion files/registry entries all over the place, and the only way to get them all (you'll still have some leftover dll's, however) is to go through the control panel.

Good luck man.

5. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

6. Thanks for the help guys. Hey Shake I tried doing add/remove in SM and it kept telling me I couldn't do it in SM. I googled up some info and was able to remove it. I don't know if I got all the DLL's but atleast I got rid of that stupid program and got PC cillin loaded and running.

7. I know you will enjoy PC cillin ... I do :D

8. I have a buddy that works for Best Buy that I called about uninstalling Norton and installing PC cillin and he said it was a bad move that Pc cillin attracted viruses. I just kind of chuckled and said ok. I guess some people are stuck on one product. My company uses PC cilin and we haven't had any problems. It has worked better than Norton did. I guess it's just personal preference.