close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Northridge pond does it again

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Flathead King 06, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

went out last night with Whiskers and a few buddies to do some cattin' at the community pond up the road...was a decent night having a few bites starting off, but didnt produce any fish, then around 1 am heard my clicker sounding as line was steadily taking out of the reel...ran over and set the hook, and 15 mins later along with 3 poles tangled up...there was a hawg of a bluecat sitting on the bank...a really good fish for this pond...got the scale out and she weighed in at 25lbs...we got a few pictures and released it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Awesome fish bro. Wish I could have made it out.

3. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Yeah, me too. One of these days I'll get some time to check that pond out.

4. Flathead King 06

well i asked andy if he wanted to go and he turned me down...and I figured at 10:00 last night you were already obligated to other plans or on your way to the bed...so gunna try to hit up deer creek tonight with scott, but dont know how thats going to work....if i dont get there i might head back up to northridge if you're game

5. That's a very nice fish flathead king but are you sure it's a blue? I've looked at it and it looks a lot like a channel. Blues have 30 to 36 rays in the anal fin and it's usually squared off. They also have more of a rounded body shape than that. Channels will have 24 to 29 rays in the anal fin and usually a rounded shape. The fish itself will have more of a streamlined appearance. Thats what I see in that photo. Just curious about that one. I might be wrong from just seeing that photo. Nice one either way.

6. Flathead King 06

Thanks for the compliment...put up one heck of a fight but from the angle I am holding the fish it does appear streamline but in reality it wasnt... shaped just like a football...and if you count very closely... there are 38 or 39 rays in the anal fin... not to say it isnt a channel but I believe I have done enough cattin' in my days to tell the difference between blues and channels...definitely a blue

7. Don't count rays anymore. The best way to tell is the anal fin on a blue is straight and the anal fin on a channel is rounded. Ronnie

PS definitely a blue

8. Being there and seeing the fish up close, I agree with Flathead that it was a blue.

Awesome catch Flathead. I doubt I had as much fun netting that hog for you as you did catching it, but it was a nice consolation for being shunked.

We only saw 1 other fish caught that night. I assume it was a cat, but the catch was on the other shoreline so cannot confirm. It appeared to be a smaller one, less than 5 lbs.

Leave it to Flathead to catch this hog when the bite was slow and AFTER a cold front had already passed through.