Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the Creek at 4. Water was cooler than expected. These colder nights have made the shallow creeks very clear and a bit storage to fish. I threw a paddle tail 4" worm on a 1/8 ounce jig. Working the opposite bank in the pools. I was on my 3rd cast and hit a school of rock bass. I caught 7 and moved on. I caught a couple 11-13" smallies on the next pool. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1375553419.706387.jpg
Throwing a crankbait has become very productive as of late. So I changed to a 2.5" silver and black Walmart crank. I move down river at a good pace casting to both sides and catching rock bass and small smallmouth every few casts. I approach a bend in the creek where I have been wanting to try. Normally I would be wading in from the opposite direction so this side of the bend is deeper and unexplored by me. The bank is steep behind me with many tree roots exposed. Water is 4' and stained in the area. I cast left to right fanning the whole bend. On my second series of casts I feel what I believe is a beast of a fish. Rod bends and a fight is on. My drag is screaming and a fish breaks the surface. Indeed it is a smallie. I work it for a few minutes and when I thumb it I know I have my new PB! No where to accurately lay it out to measure I lay it on my rod. I have three marks already scratched I. This year. A 15" a 23" catfish and a 17" buffalo. Laying this one out it was thick. Thumbing him was a great feeling. I could grab him by the jaw and raise him. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1375554106.580525.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1375554120.368246.jpg
When I got back to my jeep I measured the mark on my rod. Tail not pinched he was 18.5.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After catching this PB I was shaking and so excited. I released him and he stayed right there in front of me just floating. He was more wore out than I was I guess. After a few seconds he shot off awaiting the next lucky person a chance at a new mark on there pole.
About 5 minutes passes and Jaybird_123 shows up and we wade the next couple hours upstream. Catching a few more a allies and rock bass. It was great to fish and learn new areas from someone that has fished these waters for years. Being my second year wading. I still have so much to figure out

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Being my second year wading. I still have so much to figure out
Well you don't need to figure how to fish for 18.5"ers any more you've done gone put that under your belt real solid. Congrats, a first time fight with a smallmouth brute is real special. You'll only want a lot more of where that came from now!!! :)

A lot of nice brute stock getting posted this week, sooo cool.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks Brit its was good fishing with u I may talk a lot but jus tryn 2 help :). been real busy latly but we will havta go fishing again n hopefully find the fish Ohio smallies late seem 2 elude some of the best of us congrats on the PB it was a dandy. Fish on!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts