Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished Lake Erie and its tribs my entire life and have come across white bass while perch and walleye fishing. I have also fished for Large mouth and smallies in the lake, and steelies in the tribs. But I have seen the size of some of the fish posted and was wondering if there are fish like these in the Northern part of our fine state. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
The ODNR is soooo sensitive about stocking " non native" species in any water that eventually ends up in L. Erie. Do not expect to ever see(at least in our lifetimes) any stripers/wipers stocked in northern Ohio waters.[yeah, I know the wipers are supposed to be sterile(hybrids), but they will not stock any walleye hybrids because they actually, on RARE occasions, DO breed/cross with walleye! Mother Nature at her finest!]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Actually, the DNR used to stock Striped Bass in West Branch Reservoir. But that was probably thirty plus years ago. Then for a while they stocked "Wipers" but they never seemed to take off so to speak.

Coincidently, I hear of an occasional huge Striper making the rumor mill around these parts.

About twenty years ago, during probably late November, I came across a dead one laying on the shore. My shotgun barrel is 30". That fish was a good 2" longer than my barrel. I wish I had a camera! (around that same time, I saw a dead Walleye there about the same size).

I guess not enough of them were ever reported to provide a viable fishery.

Jon

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,273 Posts
They stocked WB, bu that flows south.
Anything that flows into Lake Erie - it will never happen.
They'll stock things that can't reproduce much, like steelies, but there's too much
worry that a fish like stripers could breed and possibly get established and there would be no way to get rid of them.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Actually, the DNR used to stock Striped Bass in West Branch Reservoir. But that was probably thirty plus years ago.

I guess not enough of them were ever reported to provide a viable fishery.

Jon
Exactly the primary reason striper stocking was discontinued(also, that the fingerlings got very difficult to obtain)! People caught them but few ever let it be known/kept it a big secret! No News was bad news for striper stocking-it was considered a waste of time and money and discontinued. And yes, WB discharge runs eventually to the Ohio River which already has various types of striper/wiper hybrids. I used to love catching stripers there(WB)-seems nothing good ever lasts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.