close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

North Channel, Ontario

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by DarbyMan, Jul 10, 2007.

1. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

Went to the North Channel of Lake Huron for a long weekend. Stayed in Algoma Mills. Has anyone ever been there?

The smallmouth were on fire!! and they were BULLS!!!

Smallest one caught between me, the boy and gramps was 3lbs!

Didn't get any northerns, but we tried. The smallies were just blowing up everything, everywhere. Fished some inland lakes and some creeks as well. Lots of BIG smallies caught. Used fly rod on a couple- whoa man what a blast! Also used some topwater lures and some powerbaits.

Awesome, even saw a couple bears.

2. Many times - those smallies bring me back year after year.

Incredible fish!!!

3. Darbyman- Congrat's....sounds like a good time was had by all ! ! ! !

How was the weather up there? We are leaving Saturday for Oba Lake (nw of Slt. St. Marie)

4. Darbyman - Where is North Channel of Lake Huron and how long dose it take to get there? Is there any certain time to go that is better than others?

Thanks for the help!

5. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

The weather was pretty good. Cool (50's) in the morning and high 70's, low 80's during the day. Also there was quite a nice breeze. I think it was Sunday night we had a pretty good T-storm roll thru.

Location- Find Sault Ste. Marie, Mich on the map and go east. Or if you know where Georgian Bay is then go NW and you will find it. Allow 11-12 hours to drive, there was a lot of construction in Mich.

As far as when to go I would say it depends on what you want. Thats the best advice I can honestly give you. There are tons of places to fish and a wide variety of species. This time the smallies were on fire and the northerns were asleep, next time might be different. I think these fish are weather/water temp sensitive. The cold water species (pike, trout) seem to slow down in the summer when the water gets warmer.

Hope that helps ya'll

6. Thanks Darbyman - Ill have to check it out!