close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

North American Fishing Club

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SNAGMASTER, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Anyone here ever join this club? I get a mailing from them several times a year and read the enclosed information. Always end up thinking it's just another scam and throw it away. Are there any "real" benefits ?

2. What kind of real benefits are you looking for? I am a member and I am paying on my life membership. They have a great magazine that you get like 10 times a year. Maybe a little less than that. They have a nice website but no where close to this. They do a lot of mailings to buy things such as rain suits, hats, shirts, jackets, and other stuff that people like to have. I enjoy being a member. One warning. They say you get to "field test" products. You don't get them very often. I think I have "tested" one or two things. That is how they get a lot of members and then everyone gets mad because they don't get a new motor or something to test. I think a years membership is like $12 get it and see if you like it. Good luck.

fishintiger

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I wouldn't touch them. Myself and a few other buddies joined years ago, and were bombarded with junk. Every month they send you a book or video (which are ok, nothing to write home about) and if you keep it, they charge you. That's fine, however it gets REAL old having to send that stuff back. The bigger problem is, getting them to stop sending the stuff.

Like fishintiger said, a lot of people join because of the "field tester" jazz they like to jaw about. That's a complete joke, and was why we joined. I figured for $12 dollars, I was getting a magazine and some possible freebees. Waste of time and money in my book.

4. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

I have to basically agree with Shake-n-Bake on this one. I joined and got tons of junk mail. I finally called them and had them stop sending me the books. Not that they were bad, but given that I spend 90%+ of my time fishing for two specific species, most of their books were not helpful to me. They cancelled the books, no problem. The items to test usually amounted to a spool of mono or a lure at best. My membership expires next year but I doubt I'll renew it.

5. I am a member and I like it. I have tested 1 thing in 2 years...Its a bunch of crap but some people get lucky and get to test fishfinders and and trolling motors stuff like that. Most of the time people get to test stuff that is 10 bucks or under but others get lucky to test motors and fish finders.

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I agree with Shake, I was bombarded with stuff in the mail.

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

I'd avoid it as well. I signed up back in 97 and never saw any products to field test, not one issue of the magazine, but I kept getting these books. Before I knew what hit me I owed them like $80 for books I didn't want.
    They did send me a nice keychain though :rolleyes:

8. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i joined a few years back i think i got a spool of line 1 time and never got any of the books but their mag was ok i still get an info thing to rejoin 1 or 2 times a year with some stickers a big a** pach a zipper pull a note pad and infoin it but i dont think i will join again.......jim

9. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

my older brother who never fished a day in his life is a member somehow he got a free membership and now just keeps it up, they are always sending him stuff like packs of worms and hooks and little things but have never yet sent him anything worth anything to test, they sent him a keychain once so how do you test a keychain.............lol............. :cool:

10. Dont waste your time and money. Its nothing but a big money pit. You get way more information here plus you get a chance to meet some real great people. I joined once a long time ago and all they did was send me a bunch of books and vhs tapes to buy to where it cost me money to keep sending them back. They would not stop sending them even after I called them numerous times . After I said I was not going to send them back anymore it took them three books and two vhs tapes later to realized they were not geting them back. They even tried to strong arm me telling me that they were going to take me to collections for the stuff they were told not to send to me anymore. BEWARE!!!!!! I think they were geting aroung 23 dollars per book. I seen the books this year at the IX center show selling for 1.99 each and three for five...............JIM

11. I belong to the "NAFC", they have sent me book also when I first joined. It took ONE (1) phone call to them to stop that. I am a life member and I just got a med action spinning rod in the mail (FREE) with my NAME on it above the front handle, and a real nice Quantum reel to go wth it. FREE. Even if you didn't want to books or anything else they send all you had to do is NOT open it and send it back to them. They pay ALL the postage to return whatever they sent.

I have never got anything large to feild test for them but I have got a reel, all kinds of line, all kinds of plastics and stick baits too. Thats about it. Nothing else though.

I did meet Steve Pennaz the president of the club at the Ranger Outing in Flippin, AK.
    He was an interesting man. Very busy all the time, but a nice guy just the same. Didn't know me from a hole in the wall and took time to stand and chat with me for a while.

Oh well, to each his own. That's what makes the world go 'round.

12. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

When i became a life member back in 96, they gave me a free travel pack rod and reel and promised me discounts on equipment and other products, even clothes and leather jackets. Also said i would have a chance to win prizes that they draw monthly. Well..... a 10% discount on a $350 leather doesn't seem fair and as for the prizes, they're maybe 6 months behind on the drawings, and i 've not won anything in 8 yrs of membership. They ask what species you fish for mainly. I told them Crappie and bluegills and sometimes walleyes. They sent me some free purple and black plastic worms.... and a couple lizards. Gee thanks. What a joke. I'll keep getting their magazine until they fold. Anybody win any money in their tourneys? No, because they dont have any. They sure do have a good time going on all those fishing trips tho, don't they? As for the books, i sent the first one back with a note that said any other books they send will be considered a gift and i wont pay for them. I never received another one. What a sucker i was (am). I still send the cards in. :confused:

13. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

My guess is $12 spent here would do a lot more for you.

14. I Subscribed For A Yr.they Sent Me A Spool Of Line I Cant Use...they Wont Stop Sending Me Renewal Notices...another Ripoff It Is Indeed....

15. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

They sent me a sticker and invited me to join years ago (15?) but I never did. Nice sticker, though. Then they sent me like 6 more invitational letters until they finally gave up.

Funny, about 2 years ago I got the same type of promotional material for something called the "Handyman Club". Same deal, yearly dues, available books, and so called "free product" testing. (regarding woodworking and stuff around the house.) It seemed like it was from the same organization.

16. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I joined once & started getting the books, kept the 1st one as it was only a few bucks, then the next one was regular price. Didn't like them sending me stuff I didn't want (or order/ask for). Didn't see a free offer for return postage either, I wrote them to send me postage to return the book & cancelled my subscription.
    I'd share the secret information I gleened from them, but ... I'd be in violation to the agreement !!! :eek: :eek: :D
    IMHO In-Fisherman has the best & most informative magazine, which I did get for years and realized I never read them anyway after the 1st few years. So I dropped the subscription. I can get OGF for free and get personalized replies to real problems here. :) from guys who fish the same waters I do....
    After all, all those authors writting get their info from guys like us, who fish. We tell them how to fish a the body of water they inquire about & then they write it up real nice. ;)

17. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

i enjoyed the magazine- even got a few pictures published in it, then field tested some stuff- also was cool. decided to become a life member- they sent me some more cool stuff. in time i got sick of all the books and everything they always tried to sell me- so i kept returning them unopened and finally they stopped sending them to me. magazine stopped showing up, and as a life member the magazine should always be there- i call them- they have no record of me ever being a life member. pretty funny i have my card a certificate and all the stuff they sent me when i paid in full. i noticed one of the perks of being a life member was to be on the charter life member board at club headquarters- i wouldnt count on it LOL

18. Back in October I did the free month trial, and they sent me 1 Mag for the month,small pack of hooks, and two Bobbers.

19. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Because I paid for my life membership a loooong time ago and I like the magazine. I have the "POS" leather jacket from them and it is going on 5 years now and it looks better than my brother's $300 Harley jacket. I also got the travel pack rod when I initially signed up for the lifetime and it has been with me in my truck for almost 7 years. It has caught many a fish that I otherwise would not have been able to fish for since I wouldn't have had a rod.

The Field Tester stuff is great, at least it has been for me. The first thing I ever tested was an Angler's Best rechargeable fillet knife. It is the exact same thing I see at Bass Pro for $80, although mine only had one set of blades. I have used it for fishing as well as carving Thanksgiving turkeys and Christmas roasts. The second item I got was a bunch of hand warmers- only about $1 a piece but I got a dozen of them and I used them all through the winter of '01. The last thing I got was lantern that runs on 4 D cells and uses a little flourescent bulb. It lives in the camping box because it does a great job of lighting up the tent and it doesn't get hot. That was about $25. People DO get gas powered augers, $100 reels, canoes, trolling motors, etc. But when you have 1 million members, its tough to get something to everybody. What does Bassmaster, InFisherman or Outdoor Life give you? I thought so.

Do they give you a list of approved guides and lodgings? Do they get you a discount on lots of useful stuff? Heck, I saved $60 on a walleye charter because of my membership. That pays for 5 years of the club.

Maybe I am lucky or just stupid, but the magazine is good as well. I like the articles and the writers are people you know. The one bad habit they have of sending you stuff isn't any different than other magazines- Bassmaster does it as well. I just drop them back in the mailbox and send them back. No big deal.

It's $12 a year. A 12 pack of decent beer will cost you almost that much. You can't buy a reel worth a darn for that much, nor a rod. It is what it is and that's all.

For what it is worth, I like it.

UFM82

20. It's been a cuple of months sense I was a member and last week they sent me a email, the same one you get if u were a member. then yesterday I get a packege in the mail from them and it's a rapala limited edition LCM-10 C.
    Do i need to contact them?