Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a roof put on my house. I've been getting bids and the guy I like the best and can do the job want 50% up front at time of contract. Is that normal or not?

·
Fish On!
411 Posts
I wouldn't do that unless I knew the person. To many scam artist out there. Had my roof done years ago with no money upfront.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had my house roof done two years ago they gave me a break down of the material and ask that I pay for the material before the job. The material was about half the cost of the job. Make sure you get a good local roofer my sister got a out of town roofer after a hail storm went through town she had a problem with the roof called the roofing company phone was no longer in service. My moms church got two estimates to repair the church roof 4000 and 1500 they paid the 1500 all this rain and the roof has been leaking like crazy sometimes you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The business is a local business but they have locations in several states. He is an accredited business with the BBB. He's not the cheapest guy but I do not no anyone who has done business with them. Their price does seem in line with others.
They do more than just roofing, they also do restoration, painting ect. This is a very steep roof, not a job for amateurs.
I'm anxious to hear from others

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I got ripped off doing this on my pole barn. they asked for part up front then started the job then wanted the balance before delivering the metal. I paid the balance and they filed bankruptcy.

my nephew just came up from ten and did my roof and my sons roof and didn't ask for any money until the job was done. but he does know us well and knew we would pay.

I can understand them wanting the money for materials before they do the job but I would ask for references.
sherman

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Well chances are..if hes a member of the BBB and in good standing with them...i wouldnt worry a lot...but definitely CALL the BBB and inquire about any complaints he has had in the past.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
"They do more than just roofing, they also do restoration, painting ect." This is a very steep roof, not a job for amateurs.

When I see a business that offers that many options I look elsewhere as I'm sure they do a lot if not all sub contracting. My preference is an established roofing company that has their own employees.
I just had $16,000 of roofing done on my home and small storage barn and was not required to put up any front money This particular roofer has served a four county area for forty plus years and has an excellent reputation and will supply references.
There were six workers on my job, of which everyone had passed a drug test which also impressed me. The recent "Dry Spells" :rolleyes::eek: have allowed the work to pass the test.:D

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
The business is a local business but they have locations in several states. He is an accredited business with the BBB. He's not the cheapest guy but I do not no anyone who has done business with them. Their price does seem in line with others.
They do more than just roofing, they also do restoration, painting ect. This is a very steep roof, not a job for amateurs.
None of that matters. Storm chasers come into town, find a guy with a local company, cut him in on any work they do using his name, then split.

Get references and ask them what jobs they have going right now, check them all out!

Paying for materials up front is common. pay nothing else until the job is complete. know how many "squares" your roof is and demand they stay below 10%. Most guys van do it with 5. Keep any unused/unopened makes of shingles, you can use for repair if necessary down the road, or take them back and recoup some of your money.

Been around this alot, and got completely out of it when I saw my boss was starting to use the tricks if the trade. PM me, I'd be glad to tell you what I know.

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When we 1st met the contractor he provided us a list of references. I got to admit I haven't called any but maybe I will.
On thing I liked about this company over some of the others way the offered a 5 year no leak warranty and its transferable. We're selling our home in the next year. If the roof leaks they also take care of any damage.
Everyone else just mentioned the shingle warranty.
It's my understanding the employees are not subs. I will verify this. They have different crews who roof, paint ect.

·
Registered
698 Posts
had the same type of scenario just with a fence. The guy I liked to do my fence was just getting his own business going. He had pics and references but he explained that being the he just broke out on his own he didn't have the capital for materials and wanted 50% down.

I wanted to give the "little guy" a shot so here is what we came up with. He broke down material and labor on an invoice. Then I placed the order at the lumber yard , set up delivery and paid for the material straight to the lumber yard. That way I at least had the material and could just hire labor if he flaked. And the materials were at my property.

Once the materials were paid for and at the property, I called him into do the installation. The balance was due at the end of the job and after an inspection by me.
This worked out fine.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Putting a deposit down to cover cost of materials is commonplace among residential contractors. Just make sure you have a signed contract before forking over the dough and check references etc.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The best way is to use someone who has done work for someone else that you know and did a good job. If you can't find a personal reference, then check the references they give you. Ask for a reference to a supplier that they use to buy materials. If they give you a number to someone that they have done work for before, it could just be a cousin of theirs they have paid to lie.

Like everyone else said, it's not unusual to give 50% upfront. It's a good idea though to pay for the materials yourself if possible. Especially with small time contractors. Also get a copy of their liability insurance. Otherwise, if an injury happens on your job, they will be submitting the claim to your homeowner's insurance company and you will be paying the deductible.

Don't hire a contractor that doesn't have his name on his truck and don't cold call people out of the phone book. Go to a home and garden show or get a reference from a friend or coworker if possible.

Just had our roof redone because of hail damage. Used a local company that my grandma had used before. Also just hired a general contractor to do some work to fix up our new house and hired a guy from the forum to put new carpet in our old house. All the projects worked out well!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I think you&#8217;ve got some good advice. It is fairly common to pay a percentage up front, but it&#8217;s important to have a signed contract, and even more important to be dealing with a company you have history with or confidence in based on feedback from others. When I had mine done, my down payment was the cost of materials, which happened to be about half the total cost. My roofer was a friend and I had no worries regarding him taking off or not showing up on time. The balance however, shouldn&#8217;t be paid until the job is complete. Any contractor that asked for that would have me worried.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used to roof for a company located in elyria. I also used to do side jobs (roofing) over weekends and the week off the boss gave us in August. I would ask for half upfront to purchase the materials. Winter guard felt nails shingles drip edge etc. In my opinion the half up front thing is standard at least with side jobs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.
Paying a deposit up front sounds to be customary for this type of work so i won't worry about it.
The company I am looking at does have their own fleet of vehicles and they do have a local facility.
I currently do have a good working relationship with a roofer who I normally use but his quote seemed to be lacking in some of the included items with all the other quotes with only a very small savings. I would have liked to given him the job but.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you're going to be home during the time it's being done I really do suggest watching them as they "dry in". Some companies will try to cut a corner and use normal felt paper instead of ice/winner guard at the bottom of the roof. It's expensive per roll that's why some contractors don't use it. Very easy to notice the installation. You see them pulling either a plastic film or paper off the back of it. Usually only 1 strip will be applied then normal felt paper will be used to cover the rest of the house up

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
His quote listed the ice shield 3' along all bottoms runs and in all the valleys. Not everyone included this.
The more I read here, the more complete I see his quote is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.