close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Noodling video on Fox news - link inside

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Jun 7, 2005.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

This stuff realy bothers me, if they were noodling spawning bass off beds I guess it would be wrong..But since it's the lowly catfish anything goes.

3. I cant watch the video but wonder if they guys are keeping the fish? Is that why you dont like it flat? I mean would you have a problem with people doing it if they were just catching them taking a few pictures and then releasing them? You are right if it were bass there is no way it would be happening but with catfish anything goes. Do you think its because the state stocks catfish in a lot of places is whey there are no regs on them? It would be good if they had a size limit on cats, I mean a big size limit like no fish or only one fish over a certain size can be kept.

4. ShakeDown

Regardless of how you feel, I don't see a bass letting you get that close to lip em off a bed. I don't see it as anything against cats, but cats probably provide more opportunity for hand angling than others.

5. I dont know shake, I'm pretty sneaky!:p Now a real man would try to lip a pike out of shallow weed beds! :eek:

6. ShakeDown

If someone wants to noodle an eye or a pike, I'm allll for it :D

7. I ended up with my hand inside a pikes mouth, not by choice! In the BWCA caught a good size pike and held him up for a picture and he gave one last shake and my had slid right up inside his gills and into his mouth. He cut me up pretty good, had blood gushing from 3 different spots and still have a scare on one finger. I grabbed a glove and wrapped it around my had with a bungee cord and kept on fishing!!

8. I used to live outside of Huntsville, Alabama. I worked as a firefighter with a swift water rescue team. Just before I left and moved back to Ohio, we had a rescue on one of the rivers from guys going this. He had found a hole, and there was a big cat in there. Well the cat got a hold of his arm from about the elbow down and wouldn't let go and it was too big for him to pull out. He almost drowned. Needless to say, but it is very dangerous and you will never find me sticking my hand in anyholes under the water.

I think all the comotion when we got there was enough to get the cat to let go, but I remember my captain saying" what are we gonna do if there is something on the end when we pull him out". I think these people are nuts. Just imagine if it was a snapping turtle!

9. from what I have seen over the years people that noodle eat all the fish they catch :mad:

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I want to see that video ! :D
    Most of those cats are in holes under the banks, they even put drums out to attract them.

11. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I go grabbin for turtles.......it is fun believe it or not. Just call me stumpy! :p Just kidding!

what is that about Drums Mrfishohio? they are outlawed in Ohio right? I know I still see some at Clendening and Piedmont though.....old ones anyway. I am sure they are all over the place though. Hey wait a second, doesn't a drum have something to do with a very big flattie caught in Ohio? I think it does. not a very sporting way to catch fish....

On the other side of that though, I would love to try this once or twice depending on how it went. I would not keep them of course though. If I can find a good place to do it, I will try it i am sure. I was feeling along a bank at Will's Creek not too long ago to see if the bank cut in any......no luck though ;)

12. I've seen at least a half-dozen references to noodling/grabbling in the past couple of weeks, which is funny, because I had never heard of it before. Why the sudden media blitz?

Here's the latest one, which comes from an unusual outlet, i.e. The Economist.

http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=4010514

Frankly, I don't know what to think about noodling, other than a sort of voyeuristic fascination with certain aspects of redneck life. :D

Best,
    JM

13. rockbass

rockbass Banned

That article is on the same group that the video was showing. man the fish int hat pic look real healthy don't they :rolleyes:

I saw on the show worlds dirtiest jobs I think it is where they went grabbing for cats........yes they kept every one and chopped it all up. they kept the big ones and little ones.....I can't see the big ones being good, but that is what they did

14. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Just cause bass arn't that orginal when it comes to spawning techniques :D

How about castnetting them on the bed :D

15. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Healthy looking? In reality those fish like their in great shape, aside from being in the hands of some meat hunters. Male flatheads never look "good" when they spawn. What you're seeing on their back is done by their own doing, cleaning out debris from a cavity to keep water moving over the eggs to oxgenate them. They beat themselfs up pretty good during spawning season. Noodlers take advantage of it, thus taking a nice fish out of the water, while at the same time time destroying their own sport.

16. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I get what you are saying, I know that I have caught some that look kind of rough, but never looking like they were mistreated like those ones do......then again, I am no master Flathead catfisherman ;)

17. ShakeDown

That's right on the money ;)

18. They showed some "Noodlin'" on the discovery Channel the other night and kept the fish.....hung them on a hook and butchered them.

They raved about how good they tasted.....I always thought the big cats had a mossy/muddy taste, The smaller fish always tasted pretty good.

Really hate to see the breeders killed.

19. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

You are right oldfox..Most of those noodled flatheads are taken right off the nest and butchered.

20. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

You could not pay me enough money to get me to stick my hand down into a hole in the water, when I would have no idea what was possibly in there! Makes me shiver just thinking about it! :-0 !!!! Yikes... thats just some crazy stuff! I think I'll just stick with my pole for now :)