Ohio Game Fishing banner

Should Adults be allowed to fish without a child in State owned and Stocked Ponds?

• Yes

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Unconcerned with Issue

Votes: 5 10.9%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent this email to the Governor, State Reps, ODNR, and Senate. I called Maumee Tackle to email this to them but they said, “We don’t give out our email address.” .. Thanks Gary. I don’t give out my business to you anymore either.
----
On April 7th the ODNR released the spring rainbow trout in Pearson Park, Oregon Ohio. Accordingly, the first day was youth only, afterwards, according to the ODNR website, “Open to all anglers on the first Sunday after fish are stocked.” I learned how to fish at Pearson Park when I was a youth, over 25 years ago, sitting on the shore while my Great Aunt explained the ways, the reasons, the methods and the knowledge of nature. After mastering how to cast, set, land, and maintain my own rig, I moved to the Piers of Lake Erie, the Maumee River, and of course, head boats, allowing other youths to be taught how to enjoy fishing.

Now it is my turn to teach my children how to fish, a tradition richly passed down generation to generation in my family. As I readied my eight year old son for our first time out, I experienced the excitement of my youth all over again. I wanted to instill this in him, so he can draw on the memory when he is a parent of his own and pass it on to my future grandchildren. As we pulled into the parking lot, I frowled my brow in disbelief as Person Park’s wooden walk way dock was packed with ADULTS fishing. Not ONE youth was to be seen. Not ONE child other then mine. I had to fight the urge to tell the 10 to 15 invading adults to find somewhere else to fish and that the parks are for teaching our children in a stocked environment where they learn the ways, the reasons, the methods, and the knowledge of nature. I know other ponds, specifically W.W. Knight Preserve owned by Wood County to name one, which only allows Youth and Youth-accompanied adults to fish. Why are our State Ponds not set up as such? With being as close to the Shores of Lake Erie it is detrimental allowing adults to push out our learning youth.

As an annual licensed angler and hunter in the State of Ohio, where the bag limit of Yellow Perch was lowered to 30 from 40, I protested allowing NON-YOUTH ACCOMPINED ADULTS from fishing our Stated owned and publicly funded parks. There are other ponds where it is pay to fish. Send the adults there and let us parents pass on our traditions to our children.

·
Super Moderator
3,925 Posts
My vote would go for all city/residential ponds be strictly kids and handicap fisherman only. Esp. during the trout releases.

·
Registered
946 Posts
why should you get to fish because you have kids? make it for everyone or kids only...just my $.02

·
duuuuhhhuuuuuhhhhh
69 Posts
i think on days of trout releases it should be kids only us adults can make it out there and fish whenever we want kids have school and sports and other stuff give them a day to themselves or even a few days of kids only we have youth seasons for hunting why not fishing are we to greedy to let our kids have some fun to

·
Registered
97 Posts
It should be kids only for the first few days after a release, with adults there to help only (not fish). We'll see who the real parents are. After that, it should be open to anyone.

By the way, I caught my limit of 5 trout yesterday morning. I and many others don't have any other opportunity to fish for the hatchery trout that my license dollars pay for.

I took my kid Saturday, and we had about 18 minutes of the father/son bonding thing until our feet and hands went numb. He asked me with chattering teeth if we could leave, and I obliged. It was brutal.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I dont think anybody would have a problem with "certain" ponds or areas be for children only but I dont think all state owned properties or ponds should be like that. Letting kids fish where its easy for them to learn is great but paying taxes and buying licenses is what funds the whole program and adult fisherman who have limited time, resources, or a boat should still be able to get what they pay for. The trout derbys are great because they give "kids only" time before turning it over to everybody else. This way its fair for the kiddos and gives them a chance first but by the end of the day, everybody has had an opportunity.

·
Registered
118 Posts
By the turn out you witnessed (no other kids), what would be the point? I'm assuming there was plenty of space to fish? So, it doesnt sound like the kids were being forced out of access. I am all about getting kids involved. I am a certified "Hooked on Fishing, Not on Drugs Instructor" and I've organized youth fishing derbys at my undergrad university. Access is not the problem for fishing recruitment (it is for hunting). The real work should be focused on talking to kids at schools, organizing events at local parks/reservoirs and talking with parents as well. Stocked trout are paid for by any licenced angler; they are just as entitled to fish for them as anyone else.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
i'm not sure i understand the problem here.did this situation occur during the time that was reserved for kids?that wasn't clear to me in reading your post.
judging from some of your statements,i get the feeling it wasn't(please correct me if i'm wrong).
if that is the case,i don't understand the point you're trying to convey.i do understand your wanting to spend time with your son,teaching him,and applaud that.
but to expect or imply that all such waters should be "kids only" is a little far fetched.as you aknowledged,there are several park ponds/lakes in the state that are set up that way.but it seems a bit selfish and unrealistic to demand that all park waters should be the same.i have to say if the day you there was not a "kids only" day,the following statement just doesn't make sense
I had to fight the urge to tell the 10 to 15 invading adults to find somewhere else to fish and that the parks are for teaching our children in a stocked environment where they learn the ways, the reasons, the methods, and the knowledge of nature.
that is not the sole purpose of all the parks,and i feel you did right by not being confrontational over an issue about which you were wrong.
your displeasure/overreaction with the situation seems much more a result of your own pesonal feelings than the fact that those people were doing anything wrong or illegal.
unless otherwise stipulated,those parks are there for the enjoyment of all on an equal basis.
when i was raising my kids,there were no such "kids days" or even waters designated soley to kids.i still enjoyed taking them fishing on public waters and i doubt they would have have learned any more or any better at a "kids only" pond.in fact they learned more,such as how to respect others while sharing the water with them.they also leaned some of the do's and don't's by observing those other people.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If it is a youth only pond then to me that means youth only and the adults are just there to help. If that is the case then ya I would be upset to.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
billybob,i don't think that's the case.at least based on his words below.
On April 7th the ODNR released the spring rainbow trout in Pearson Park, Oregon Ohio. Accordingly, the first day was youth only, afterwards, according to the ODNR website, “Open to all anglers on the first Sunday after fish are stocked.”
but if it was youth day(which wasn't stated)i agree.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Like a lot of folks are stating, if it was the day set aside for youth only then all those adults were wrong. But, I disagree with your other point that state parks and such, that are stocked, should always be youth only. It is the paying adults, 16 and over for a liscence, that provide the funds to purchase those stockers. That being said, any liscened fisherman/woman should be allowed to fish these ponds after the youth only day is over. They helped pay for those fish by purchasing their liscence. It also isn't like Ohio has thousands of miles of trout streams that can provide anglers with lots of trout fishing. We simply don't have much habitat for trout in the state other than some Lake Erie Tributaries and the Mad River. Also, the stockers are placed there for put and take. I would not mind an extra day or two of youth fishing only on stocked ponds/parks. But its not right to deny paying fishermen/women their opourtunity to enjoy some nice stocker that they helped pay for. Besides, a good bluegill fishing day ona farm pond is a better teaching tool than stocked trout for a child.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I dont think anybody would have a problem with "certain" ponds or areas be for children only but I dont think all state owned properties or ponds should be like that. Letting kids fish where its easy for them to learn is great but paying taxes and buying licenses is what funds the whole program and adult fisherman who have limited time, resources, or a boat should still be able to get what they pay for. The trout derbys are great because they give "kids only" time before turning it over to everybody else. This way its fair for the kiddos and gives them a chance first but by the end of the day, everybody has had an opportunity.
my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
pearson pond is stocked for the youth day which takes place on sat. during that day only kids can fish the derby (i think their parents too?). there is no reason for adults without children to be fishing that day period. besides how many trout can you really eat? where are the rangers at to enforce that? that stocking is set up about perfect. let the kids have the first day then anyone else after that. there are PLENTY of fish left over for sunday and the following days to come. in fact i am sure you could get your 5 pretty easily right now. especially since it has been so cold.

i disagree that every state owned pond and lake should be youth only. i think the programs that we have in place right now are sufficient. they could probably enforce the rules a little better but there is still a lot of youth opportunity if you look into it.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
When they have the trout derby here in Findlay, it is kids only until around noon. Then they announce that anybody can fish, Im not aware of any place that sets aside a whole day for kids though its possible some places are like that. Basically, ...get there early with your kids so they have time to fish before noon. Last year lots of trout were caught easily all day long and I heard reports of people catching them for months afterward. Its a great program and Im glad Ohio does this. Those breaking the rules and abusing it should pay heavy fines.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have been there before where some guy took all the neighbor kids out (like 10+) to the park to "fish". This was a non youth day. None of the kids were fishing and just running around crazy and sceaming. He had a cooler full of his 5, and all the other kids. He bragged that he took home 100 the day before too. That is BS in my opinion......

But, no they should not be kids only. Kids don't pay taxes or license fees flat out. I do. Have kids only days but don't bite the hands that feeds you.

There are PLENTY of ponds in the area that no one fishes and are very kid friendly and full of gills, channel cats, and monster carp. If anyone wants to know some for their kids pm me.....they won't go more than 5 minutes without landing something.

Just because pearson is a zoo doesn't mean it's the only place in town, or that all the others need to be closed. Besides, for some reason it seems like most parents and "fishermen" have no clue how to catch those stockers anyways and it just becomes one big ball of tangled line and powerbait.........:confused:

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
When they have the trout derby here in Findlay, it is kids only until around noon. Then they announce that anybody can fish, Im not aware of any place that sets aside a whole day for kids though its possible some places are like that.

Yonderfishin,

Pearson Park in Oregon just had there trout run on Easter Weekend and ever year the day that they stock the fish it is kids only (Saturday).....after the first full day then anyone can fish starting Sunday. I drove out there on Saturday to see if I could help out with anything. The Park Rangers were out there with a stand that the kids could go up to and they gave out information on fishing and pamplets on how to tell the difference between fish and things. It was a good thing to see. There were quit a few kids out there (considering the crappy weather) that day.

·
Mellons mentor
4,001 Posts
Kids should have equal rights when it comes to fishing, not special rights, kids can be taught to fish at anytime any place.

·
96 Posts
Adults should be able to fish in state and publicly owned ponds without having a child with them. If it is some kind of youth only day that is different. If it is a "youth-only" the adult accompanying the child should every right to wet a line and share in the fishing. If it is indeed a "youth-only" event, you shouldn't come unless you have a child that you plan for them to do most of the fishing due to crowding out the little guys and gals. Bring a child every chance that you get, youth event or not. I'm thankful for everyone who ever took me fishing. Thank you Dad and Grandpa. Kids still need to learn early when you come up to a spot where someone is already fishing, they need to move on to another spot or not crowd, out of courtesy, an unspoken rule of fishing etiquite. The no paylaking rule should be reinforced early. :)

Take a kid out every chance you get. Encourage them to ask questions and be patient with them. They will forever be greatful.

My Two Cents:

River Dweller 20

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.