close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nobody fishing Piedmont ???

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by WillyB, Apr 25, 2004.

1. WillyB

WillyB Go Bucks!!!

Its been awfully quiet on here so far concerning Piedmont. Talked to a guy at Tappan yesterday who said they had caught some real slab crappie at Piedmont the previous weekend. When I got home I got a phone call from an excited friend of my son who had just caught a 46-3/4" muskie at the 'mont. On 6# test with ultralite outfit!! :D

Well anyhow my son and I are going to hit Piedmont in the morning and was just wondering if anyone here had been doing any good.

Willie

2. Don Whiteman

Don Whiteman foreverfishing

Yes, fished Piedmont yesterday, Sat. during the bass tourney. Didn't start gettin any bites till about 4. Caught 3 eyes all in pretty deep water. Also got a couple nice crappie and channel cat.

3. Also fished Piedmont yesterday with my boys. Didn't get on the water till about 3 pm. Ended up with 1 smallmouth, 3 largemouth, 1 slab crappie, 2 carp, 6 saugeye and 3 yes 3 muskie (muskie weren't large upto maybe 6 or 7 pounds - but we had a double - and got it all on tape)

All came out of shallow water - 6 feet or less.

4. WillyB

WillyB Go Bucks!!!

Well, we just got back from fishing Piedmont. Had a so so day. Little on the chilly side and the wind kept up a pretty good blow all day. We stayed in Essex Bay, started out fishing shallow and then working deep. Ended the day with 4 largemouth (small), 4 crappie, 1 rockbass & 1 small muskie. No one else we talked to had done anything either. The bass and muskie came out of 2 feet of water or less - spinnerbait. Beautiful lake and we had it pretty much to ourselves.
    One question. I have always launched at the marina. Is the launch ramp on Reynolds road about the same and would the fishing possibly be better at that end of the lake this time of year?

Willie

5. The Reynolds Road launch has a nice ramp and courtesy dock. Parking can get tight on weekends especially if there is a tournament going on. Road in is mostly dirt - you'll kick up a lot of dust - COVER YOUR BOAT.

Many people believe the upper end (Reynolds Road area) of the lake holds the majority of the saugeye from spring through summer. I've talked with many fisherman that don't fish any further down the lake than the 4-H Camp for saugeye during these times of the year. It is certainly worth trying out. I've fished both areas and have about equal luck at each end of the lake. The Reynold's Road area is usually a little better early in the year because it is shallower, warms quicker, and offers several incoming tributaries that draw early season spawners like saugeye.

I've had better luck with smallmouth and musky on the lower end (marina/dam area) of the lake most of the year. Although I catch saugeye at this end of the lake year round. fall and winter is definately better for this portion of the lake.

6. WillyB

WillyB Go Bucks!!!

Thanks for the reply, RodMan. We will give the upper end of the lake a try next time. I'm a much better shallow water fisherman anyway. I know what you mean about the crowds on weekends. Right now I am getting Mondays off and how nice it is to only have a few boats on the water. :)

Smallies are my favorites but the four bass we caught were all largemouths. I plan on spending more time on Piedmont and finding a few honey holes to hit each trip. Good fishing to you and your boys!!

Willy