No more second-hand children's items

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Columbusslim31, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I don't have any children so luckily this doesn't affect me. For those who do try to save money by shopping at Once upon a child, thrift stores, yard sales, etc. This will affect you starting 2/10/09:

http://www.khou.com/news/state/stories/khou090107_tnt_resale-kids.951ee7.html

New law restricts resale of kids' products

07:29 AM CST on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

By SHELTON GREEN / KVUE News

AUSTIN, Texas -- A new federal law is raising concerns and questions nationwide.

As of February 10, 2009, it will be illegal to resell any used children's products, including toys and clothing. That is according to the U.S. Consumer Protection & Safety Commission, who pushed for the new laws after dozens of toys were recalled in 2008 because of lead concerns.

Toys, clothing and other items used by children under the age of 12 will be subjected to lead testing and will have to have labels on them to prove that they have passed inspection.

What is raising the ire of parents and business owners is what this will mean for clothing, toys and other children's products made before February 10, 2009.

Gary Walthall, the owner of Once Upon a Child, a resale shop specializing in children's clothing and other items, is afraid that he'll have to close up shop.

Many retailers like Walthall, along with other consumers, have voiced concern about what the law will mean for garage sales and exactly how it will be enforced.

2. Thats funny. They can't even enforce the no smoking ban.

3. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. How many lower income families use the good will and second hand stores, for christmas, and birthday gifts

4. You have to be kidding. This is not going to fly. This is going to hurt us that collect older toys.

5. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

Exactly what I thought. The gap between the rich and the poor continues to widen...

6. So when my wife has a garage sale we will need to be vigilant for undercover "Kids Clothes" police. LOL what a joke.

7. Will it be legal to just pass them on to a friends kids......C.L...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  8. I'm going to quit my job and become a toy dealer !

9. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

My wife buys kids clothes and toys at yard sales all the time. It saves a lot of money for sure. I just told her and she about come unglued.:( Total crap...the rich keep getting richer.:mad:

10. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

I just wonder how much of this has to do with the goverment not being able to tax garage sale and other purchases like this. This is probibly only the begining.

11. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

But it was perfectly acceptable for it to be sold to me in the first place.

There are some real, honest to goodness IDIOTS making laws today!!

12. Before this ban takes effect does anyone have any older toy John Deere tractors and/or accessories,Lionel Trains and parts or Matchbox toy they want to get rid of. My wife is also always looking for older dolls and parts. lol

13. Got this email the other day as well and also one containing a link to the CPSC website about this. After reading the website, it does not sound as bad as people are making it out to be although I'm not a lawyer to understand everything fully. Here is the link:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

14. imalt

imalt Banned

that sounds like they are only banning toys they have lead in them not as bad as i first thought if i am reading that link right.

15. My question is who dreams up all this S--T ...Ban this ban that..Don't eat this don't eat that...You can't wear this you can't wear that...And now you can't play with this and you can't play with that...Must be Big Brother or Big Business...May be both....Anyone 50 years or older think about it..Look at all they have taken away from us...And all the new laws they have imposed on us...
    WHAT IS NEXT....C.L...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  16. must be losing too much tax money due to "Hand me downs", yards sales, and places like Craigslist. like a previous post said....WHATS NEXT!? :mad: