close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

no more big trout from antrim?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by catlover, Dec 6, 2004.

1. catlover

catlover Banned

You guys are lucky to get them. We only get the 12 inchers. No reports?

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Haven't heard much lately I haven't seen very many fishing come to think of it. I pass it most everyday and seems quiet. I sure not all of them were caught. Usually you see them in the early winter months grouped together, right before it ices over.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I've been there when somebody landed one in the spring. I BELIEVE that a small population does survivie and live in the lake, even during the summer.

4. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

I was there on Saturday and didn't catch a darn thing, but I saw one come out of the water about 2' in the air RIGHT in front of me. It was definetly a large trout. So I think there is still at least one there :)

5. Antrim will hold large trout year round. It's just not fished that hard. And even when it is fished it's a crapshoot.

6. catking

catking Banned

Who the member that catches the behemoths ?? fishinredhawk I believe? Hadn't heard from him either............... as far as getting some big ones.... Hey catlover.WELCOME !!!!!! to the site ;) .THE CATKING !!!

7. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

I think I am going to try for one of these bad boys again today. Any suggestions on how far out to through and how deep I should set the float? Should I try fishing on the bottom? Also, feel free to tell me what the best spot on the lake is. :) I was there last week and I noticed a lot of activity about a 1/2 hour before sunset. I will give that time of evening a try again. Thanks for the help.

8. catking

catking Banned

I would be fishing deadlined. And you don't have to throw out to far for trout. Good luck to you also ;) CATKING

9. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

I am just wondering... Does anyone out there actually know this lake? A lot of us live very close to it, but rarely fish it. Is anyone out there able to catch fish there consistantly? Some recent posts have sparked my interest for obvious reasons. If there is someone who knows this lake and would like to go fishing this afternoon let me know. I would like to target the trout.

10. I can't go till at least Wed, but after that I can meet you there and give you some tips. I have been fishing there for 12 years and got a pretty good system down for trout.
    ski

11. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

:( I had to miss it this year, due to a date with my criminal law class that I could not skip. I tried to talk my little brother into going over there and saving a spot, but the punk saw the rain out his window and went back to bed! I have caught 2 breeders on occassions other than the day that they were stocked. Both times I caught them on the side of the lake opposite the entrance, and both times were in the spring months. I think that the best method to catch them is simple. Take two rods, 6lb test, single split shot, and a medium to small sized hook. Rig one with power bait and the other with a crawler. Fish the bait 3 feet under a bobber, and cast it out as far as you can. Then just hope that you get lucky.

12. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

That would be great if you could show me some stuff. My fishing is pretty much limited to the weekends this time of year since it gets dark so early. So if you can go on a Sat. or Sun let me know.
    Well, I'm off to give it a shot.

13. hey guys, i will be new to ohio in about a month and a half, so i was wondering if anyone could tell me any of the other species of fish in antrim. thanks.

14. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

I was standing no more than 5' from at least 3 very nice trout. They just stared at me. I couldn't get them to eat anything. The weird thing is that they seemed to be somewhat aggressive. They would chase my bait out of the area, but NEVER put it in their mouths. If I let something sit there they would look at it and then swim away. One of them sort of even attacked my bobber. The fish would jump 3 times in a row, and be completely out of the water everytime. Man, I wish I new more about trout. Could these fish be spawning? I really can't figure them out. We stood right in front of them for about 1-1/2 hrs and could not produce a strike and we never lost visual contact for more than a couple minutes. This is the same place where I had seen the fish last week, but this week I saw at least 3 at the same time swimming around. Now I guess I will have to go back next weekend....

AZ to OH: I have never caught a fish out of Antrim :) but here is a list of some ones that I know people have caught from there...
    Smallmouth bass, Largemouth Bass, Trout, Saugeye, catfish (probably a couple different kinds) carp, and panfish.

15. hey nick thanks for the info. i really appreciate it.

phillip

16. Az to Oh,
    There are many places where I have caught many more then you'll ever see at Antrim. Alum Creek, Indian Lake, Griggs, O'Shay, Scioto River, Buckeye Lake, Whetstone Park, Hoover Damn, Olentangy River & I don't catch as many as I should for all the time I spend fishing. Most are within 20-30 minute drive of each other. There are many other places I have yet to fish. Ohio is full of places to fish!! This group will help to show you where & how to Fish Ohio.

17. NickAdams, a buddy and me witnesed the same thing you did last April. There were two nice trout swimming around in less than 2 feet of water right by the shore. They were intrested in lures and powerbait we tossed at them, but they would get right up to it and swim off. They would return in minutes to continue swimming in shallow water just mocking us. We never could figure out what they were doing and they did this continually for two weeks.

18. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

Fisherball is right, I wouldn't make Antrim your first priority when you get here. There are much better places to fish. I just wanted some of those stupid trout :) (which are not common in the reservoirs of central OH) If you are moving to Columbus there are way too many places to list that will be more productive than Antrim, unless maybe it's sports-bra weather ;)

19. i got lucky, 6 3/4 lb last year fishing with trucked,toad, rick seevers.long drive but fun. power bait rainbow on bottom 5 ft from dock.30ft out from shore.think toad nailed one over 8lbs too before i went down.