close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

No Longer Boatless

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CPTN.CROWN, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Well after a couple of years i finally did it. GOt me a 14'7" old town canoe. I know its not a power boat, but with storage and lack of a vehicle to pull it this will get me on the water now. Took it out Sunday for the maden voyage and had to break it in. Floats good, and alot more stable than alot of canoes ive been in. THanks to Harry1!!! :D I plan on adding some rod holders, and a trolling motor since im lazzy and have the herniated discs. Anyone got a cheap trolling motor for sale?

Here is a link to what i got

http://www.otccanoe.com/canoes_guide147.php

2. Cptn. Crown, Ive got one you can have for $25. it's an old sears trolling motor. it still works. let me know if you are interested.

3. welcome to the world of quiet boating.

4. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

You're gonna love it! Remember there are two kinds of boat tags, motorized and hand powered. I also have small folding seats that clip onto boat seat and they are great.

5. Captn,if you don't mind, how much did you pay for it? A guy at work has one exactly like yours for $300. He said it is only about a year old. Just trying to see if this is a good price or not.

6. Thats a real good price. It was originally 499.00 on sale for 450.00 THe boat was scratched, with a little complaining i got 100.00 off ;) :D

I picked me up a couple of seats that strap on the originals, and have backs :) I will only have a batery operated trolling motor on occasian. I checked and that was ok, as primary use is by hand!

7. where did you pick up the seat backs?

8. Gander has em. 35.00 each. But man are they sweet. I like the seats in the boat as they are molded. But with the back got to have support. THey go up about 12" on my back. Pad you sit on is about 4" thick. My but didnt hurt after paddln 6 miles :D :cool: :cool:

My bro just talked to his buddy. A guy got 4 fish over 16" today, biggest was around 20. All on softcraws, and thats where we are going Sunday :cool:

9. I love fishing Darby from my canoe, I'm sure you will also. I got a couple seats from Wal Mart for 10 bucks. They are like crazy creek seats but have a little pocket that hangs down below the seat. The work great and for 10 bucks were a great deal. I got 2 from Cabelas once that were 40 bucks and one broke on the first trip and the 2nd broke on the next trip.

You hitting Darby on Sunday? I'm going to fish it down my way on Sunday also. We need to trade trips sometime, a northern Darby trip for a southern Darby trip.

10. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

hey jason..great to hear ya got something that floats... it will certainly give you a workout..have fun with it dood..
    wanna take it upto the maumee for some summer smallies??.. if so, let me know..i can show you several pools.. ;)

11. Twistertail: Let me know, id be more than happy.

Crappie, im up for it if my back is up for it. I cant do long rides in the car. Got to have another spinal tap next week, number 5. THis is supposed to tell them exactly what disc;s are bad so they can do surgery. I CANT WAIT FOR SURGERY

12. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Captain Crown, good for you! I'm a NEO guy and was browsing through the central section when I saw this thread. This is my first post here.

I started out with a canoe myself. I still take it on rivers and to the Edison Pool Reservoir in Cuyahoga Falls. You'll love it. As GoneFishin said, if you are going to put a trolling motor on it, you will need a POWERED BOAT sticker for the canoe.

Another helpfull hint... For the motor, you will obviously need a battery. Get a pair of old jumper cables and extend the length of the power cord for the motor and put the battery in the nose. This will balance out the weight better if you are by yourself. Also, if you can, sit in the "front" seat but face and trvael the other way (with the rear of the boat going first). This will put YOUR weight in a more centralized location.

Unfortunately, canoe motor mounts are very expensive. I paid 80.00 for mine and that was fairly cheap for the quality I got. You might want to look at styles of mounts and fashion one yourself. They need to cross over the boat and clamp from one gunnel to the other.

Good luck!

13. I plan on building a motor bracket. Onece i get the trolling motor ill figure it out!