close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

No Handgun Or Assault/Defense Type Sales Please

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by Lundy, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

0   0   0

Only long guns normally considered a gun used for hunting may be listed for sale in this forum.

No handguns, Assault weapons, personal protection shotguns, etc.

The suitability of any gun listed is solely at the discretion of the OGF staff.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Kim

2. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

0   0   0

sorry kim i did not see that in the rules my bad

3. zyklonjed

zyklonjed

0   0   0

For clarification, definition of "Assault Weapon" please. :)

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

0   0   0

Any firearm not normally considered a "hunting" gun is not permitted to be listed for sale.

I realize anyone can hunt with almost anything and play the "I hunt with this gun" game.

There were previously no gun sales permitted on this site. We recently relaxed that standard as a service to the members. We hope that everyone will cooperate within the intended spirit of this change.

Anyone that is even somewhat familiar with firearms should understand full well what would be considered an appropriate firearm within the defined guidelines. If anyone is unsure please PM me the details and I will make a determination of suitability.

Thanks,
    Kim

5. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

0   0   0

Any chance of this rule getting relaxed?

If the handguns have all the serial numbers and the seller could be contacted via phone, mail, etc it seems OGF would have absolutely no responsibility for the sales/buys..

Not arguing at all, I honestly believe that handgun sales and buys could take place on this forum without problems.

I know of more than one person that hunts deer and other animals with handguns.

6. Shortdrift

Shortdrift

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I feel the Admin's relaxing the sale of "normally considered hunting firearms" was a very considerate move on their part. A pistol IS NOT normally viewed as a hunting firearm by most individuals other than those who use them for that purpose. If you want to get involved in the private sale of handguns, why not use the locations available in gun news media and other types of advertising that does permit it. The Terms of Service (TOS) on this site which each person agreed to are quite straight forward and simple to read so why find fault with a defined rule?

7. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

0   0   0

Chuck,

As I am sure you know OGF initially banned the selling of any guns. We relaxed the policy to allow "hunting" guns to be listed for sale as a service to the majority of our membership.

As I stated in my original post in this thread, nearly any gun can be used for hunting including many handguns, but we will only accept guns that are "normally" considered hunting guns and no handguns. I believed and still believe that most that are familiar with hunting know exactly what this policy defines as evidenced by the lack of violations to this stated policy.

I (we) am not against handguns, I own many and if I elect to sell one there are many available outlets to do so. The fact that I can not list it for sale here does not in anyway infringe on my ability (or yours) to sell a hand gun.

I appreciate your understanding.

Kim

8. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

0   0   0

Not a problem. I just thought it would be a bit easier for members to find & buy different types of firearms on the forum.

Shortdrift, I am not "finding fault" with anything, it was merely a question that was answered by Lundy.

9. OHMC 1st VP

OHMC 1st VP

0   0   0

"I feel the Admin's relaxing the sale of "normally considered hunting firearms" was a very considerate move on their part."

I agree short drift...it shows a willingness to compromise and adapt to the needs of those who use this site. The "not normally viewed as a hunting firearm" concerning pistols...my knee jerk reaction was "no way". However, having hunted with a handgun pretty much since it was legal in Ohio, as well as carrying a .22 revolver while running the trap line my whole life...the "those who use them" statement makes sense. I suppose most individuals think of a Glock, 1911, or .38 snub nose when they hear the word pistol, and it would be a hard distinction to make. As Lundy said...you can "hunt" with pretty much anything. I could go out shooting groundhogs with a Kel-Tec .380 if I were up to the challenge.

The simple fact that firearms are allowed on the marketplace at all is a step in the right direction. The fact that the administrators have relaxed the rule to this point is a positive sign that the solidarity our enemy's (the anti's) have had for years, may well be taking hold in the Outdoor Sporting Community. There has been a long history of dissension among the ranks of Sportsmen and Women, because not everyone participates in ALL outdoor sports including hunting with dogs, trapping, IDPA pistol shooting, certain fishing techniques/seasons, etc. Though the anti's are UNILATERALLY opposed to all of these activities and more, we tend to be lackadaisical about those we do not participate in ourselves.

Eventually, through the responsible use of the forum, and respect of the administrators wishes...we may indeed see a day when handguns, and those dreaded "Black Rifles" may be advertised in the marketplace. For there is nothing inherently wrong with any firearm, only the manner in which it is used. Have patience and show respect as well as good manners, and good things may happen:)

10. BigDog68

BigDog68

0   0   0

Shortdrift, would you or anyone else happen to have any links for the gun news media that you mentioned ? I am looking for a specific rifle and didn't want to post a "wanted" ad on here. Any and all help will be greatly ppreciated. BD

11. Shortdrift

Shortdrift

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Just Google "Gun Digest" and you will get a number of references.

12. BigDog68

BigDog68

0   0   0

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

0   0   0

oops........that one didn't show up on my my "new posts" when i logged in:confused:
    thanks for catching it,eric.

14. captainl67

captainl67

0   0   0

I think and I hate to say sometimes we get a little edge when any gun sales are restricted because of the assault on our rites to bare more than just hunting rifles but OGF is awesome and is a site for outdoor sport so rock on friends. and join the NRA

15. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

0   0   0

No one said anything about owning either a handgun or assult weapon, we stated there will be NO handguns or assult weapons sold on this site.
    There are other places for that, we choose not to allow them on our site.

16. ilshipman

ilshipman

0   0   0

thanks for the update

17. OhioRiverRat

OhioRiverRat Member

0   0   0

I have been a member of OGF for a couple of years and cannot disagree with this line of action by the modearators. Fishing is Fishing and Hunting is Hunting. Lets sell fishing gear here and buy our weapons where we are suppose to. Try http://www.gunbroker.com it is a great site and have personally used it for about as long as I have been an OGF member.
    Thanks for having a good clean forum.