1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aug 13th. I met my fishing friend at 08:30 then off to
Fredrick’s ramp. Got the boat underway at 08:55, when we hit the
Ohio River it was muddy and fast current. Our 1st spot was just
below Joe’s Crab Shack. We got our lines in the water at 09:30.
No bites so move in towards the eddy current at 10:10. I got a
strong tap at 10:20 but missed the fish. My friend got a bite
on his red hot smokie, he missed it as well.

The 3rd. spot was just above Hooter’s, we tried different baits but never go a tap! Nice weather but called it a day at 12:30 to start the long slow trip back to the ramp. A frustrating trip, hopefully the river will get in shape some time soon.

Talked with some guys that are divers that work on the river,
they informed up they have seen the Asian Carp up at Point
Pleasant, Ohio. That means these fish are certainly in the
Markland pool!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wonder how that front affected the fish? I know when I'm bass fishing and a high pressure front comes through they have lock jaw for a couple days.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Talked with some guys that are divers that work on the river,
they informed up they have seen the Asian Carp up at Point
Pleasant, Ohio. That means these fish are certainly in the
Markland pool!!
I ran over the top of an asian carp in the mouth of the LMR a couple weeks ago. When my trolling motor got close, it jumped out of the water. Scared the crap out of me because it almost landed in the boat. It was pretty big. I've talked to a few others with similar experiences. They are being seen more often. They are probably here in numbers by now.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bad part is once they get so high in numbers, the normal fish in the river will dying off since those thing clean up on the basic food supply. I would believe folks on water skis or jet boats will be getting hit by them in the near future. No fun getting smacked with a 20 pound fish in the head or chest.
I will say get as much fishing in as you can before it gets destroyed in the years ahead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts