Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got out about 5 yesterday. moved around for a few hours looking for perch. lots of looking for 17. about 8 pm ran out to the weather bouy. there were 3 other boats in a little closer. they didn't stay too long. trolled sw from the bouy took one on rapala clacking rap 45 back dipsey 3 setting. hunted around for good marks but could not find anything to speak of. although the mayflies are hatching and gave me something to look at on the screen. finallt ran in to 30/22 and ran into a nice bunch. took 3 lost 5. it's hard to net fish in the dark when you're on your own. (where is bobinstow when i need him) all fish on ghost minnow dipsey 30-65' back #3 setting. good old mom bought me a new net for father's day ( got it yesterday) she went to jareds, i mean she went to beckman. nice net but a little hard to control with rod in one hand and net in the other. kept coming up short and getting the hooks outside the net. that's where i lost them. any solo fisherman have any advice.
one walleye around 8 pounds, the rest were probably 4 or 5 as they were too big for my electric knife to cut through the ribs. was nice to get back out after 2 weeks out of town.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yeah Bob sure is known for his many accomplishments!!!;)

Nice job on the fish!! I am pretty good at netting solo from fishing the river, I like to keep my leads a little shorter if a solo trip is in order. Otherwise I like to sing either a Beatles, Doors, or Zepplin song to calm the nerves.:eek:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Sooooo.......two of you want to abuse me?

Most likely I deserve it.....my netting/fishing skills are.....always infinitely funny.

"........it's hard to net fish in the dark when you're on your own." DO I hear a little girls voice in there someplace?

Tom....you know my phone #.

Captn D....cheap shots WILL cost ya my friend.

Good luck....be safe out there......

.....laughs help

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
got out about 5 yesterday. moved around for a few hours looking for perch. lots of looking for 17. about 8 pm ran out to the weather bouy. there were 3 other boats in a little closer. they didn't stay too long. trolled sw from the bouy took one on rapala clacking rap 45 back dipsey 3 setting. hunted around for good marks but could not find anything to speak of. although the mayflies are hatching and gave me something to look at on the screen. finallt ran in to 30/22 and ran into a nice bunch. took 3 lost 5. it's hard to net fish in the dark when you're on your own. (where is bobinstow when i need him) all fish on ghost minnow dipsey 30-65' back #3 setting. good old mom bought me a new net for father's day ( got it yesterday) she went to jareds, i mean she went to beckman. nice net but a little hard to control with rod in one hand and net in the other. kept coming up short and getting the hooks outside the net. that's where i lost them. any solo fisherman have any advice.
one walleye around 8 pounds, the rest were probably 4 or 5 as they were too big for my electric knife to cut through the ribs. was nice to get back out after 2 weeks out of town.

i like the frabill telescoping handle with the 26x30 net. fishing by yourself you could leave it extended and lay it across the transom for leverage. thats the best advice i can give you. it has a good long handle and the net is bigger than alot of nets. good luck.
sherman

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's hard to net fish in the dark when you're on your own." DO I hear a little girls voice in there someplace?

bob when i lost my net i was in 3 footers about midnight 36/25 line. hooked the fish outside the net. fish stayed hooked. fumbling rod and net. the net went overboard.so i climbed on the swim platform snd got it by the gils 8 or 9 pounds. now that's a manly man. you tell my wife though and i will cry like a little girl :) i did have my life jacket on so they could find the body (bad joke, i know it happens, but that's what i tell my wife when she asks if i wear one. let's get out soon, mr bob. lot of catching and catching up to do. there's a picture of that bad boy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not sure how long your leaders are tom but it might help to shoryen them up a foot.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
There a gizmo that clamps onto your net handle and makes a cradle for your forearm, so you can scoop 1 handed. Someone will know what it's called (I'm not that someone).

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The Equalizer Fishing Net Brace for Anglers $6.95http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/article-display/734.html

And to help netting at night, I tapped one of those 9 led lights from Harbor Freight Tools to the top of the net handle close to the net. They have O rings and are water proof. I have used them as a crappie light attractor in 40 FOW.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the advice. although i don't know what half the stuff at harbor freight is, i can probably hunt one done. arm brace sounds good too

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts
any solo fisherman have any advice.
when im solo fishing the net only gets used on the very big ones, all the others get the heavyhooo up over the transom and into the boat. just like you see the tv bass guys do. sometimes i whip em up so fast they land in the cuddy cabin.:D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
preacherman
net the fish,it depend if you wright or left handed,i put the net where i will land fish,i play the fish 1/2 way to the boat lenght,than i grab net with one hand put the net behind the fish,while i relese presure from rod she drop in net,put rod down and pick up net with twoo hands.it work for me best,just take your time play the fish,if she get of before you net her,nothing whot you can do about that,you did your job wright.i did not have that problem yesturday,we were of Geneva and did not catch one eye while we had plenty net power.i call that Prefishing

snag

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Equalizer Fishing Net Brace for Anglers $6.95http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/article-display/734.html

And to help netting at night, I tapped one of those 9 led lights from Harbor Freight Tools to the top of the net handle close to the net. They have O rings and are water proof. I have used them as a crappie light attractor in 40 FOW.
where does one buy said product. google search turned up reviews and discussions when i put in www. equalizerbrace .com i got foot braces, speaker equalizers and for some odd reason women fishing in bikinis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts