Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know some of you probally dont have it ,or dont run it. But ours went out this morning and it got down right misrebel in here today,and makes it impossible to cook anything with it being so hot. And with the funds low we are going to have a tuff time comeing up with money for service. Just wondering if any of ya have any good ideas on keeping the house cool during these 90 degree days. We have plenty of fans but they only blow around hot air during the day. Though when the sun starts going down they do a better job, and they keep humidity out of the air a little. Just looking for some other hints or tricks some of you might have.
Thanks a bunch
Bobby
LOL, Btw we are getting ready to go get some icecream and popcicles for the two yr old now, I think in a way shes enjoying this heat.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
There is the bowl of ice in front of the fan method. If you have a basement you can use fans to move cool air up.The best way if your furnace is in the basement is to turn your furnace fan on and remove the cover where the air filter is.

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
Insulated curtains. Close blinds on sun-facing sides of the house. If you have a basement and a whole-house attic exhaust fan, leave your first floor windows CLOSED. Open the windows in your attic. Open the windows in your basement. Turn the fan on.
[/COLOR]
This will exhaust all hot air in your attic, and suck the cooler air from your basement up the stairs and to the first floor.

Something else I will do...in the evening, as the sun hits the west side of my house (all brick), I will hose off that side of the house down to help dissipate a lot of the heat. Bricks hold way too much heat, and I'll never have a brick house again.

Outside of that, the heat we're having isn't unbearable really...just uncomfortable at times. AC has only been around for a few decades. Iced tea, damp cloth, and loose fitting clothing can do wonders. If you can get used to it, you can save a LOT of money on electricity.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Did you check the circuit breakers to make sure that wasn't the problem?

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
I know you said your funds are low, Check into a small window room cooler. That'll at least give you one room in the house to be comfortable.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Insulated curtains. Close blinds on sun-facing sides of the house. If you have a basement and a whole-house attic exhaust fan, leave your first floor windows CLOSED. Open the windows in your attic. Open the windows in your basement. Turn the fan on.
[/COLOR]
This will exhaust all hot air in your attic, and suck the cooler air from your basement up the stairs and to the first floor.

Something else I will do...in the evening, as the sun hits the west side of my house (all brick), I will hose off that side of the house down to help dissipate a lot of the heat. Bricks hold way too much heat, and I'll never have a brick house again.

Outside of that, the heat we're having isn't unbearable really...just uncomfortable at times. AC has only been around for a few decades. Iced tea, damp cloth, and loose fitting clothing can do wonders. If you can get used to it, you can save a LOT of money on electricity.

you saved me from typing a lengthy post! great advice, only think i may add is when getting to bed at night make sure to have smooth thin sheets on the bed with a fan blowing on them and lay down, semi wet after a cool shower in front of that fan. you should stay cool all night.

my Great Grandma had a big 2 story house and during summer during the day she had that house dark as a crypt (neighborhood kids called her the "crypt keeper" lol), all the windows and doors shut tight except for two basement windows and an upstairs bedroom window with a big fan drawing air outside. that house was always cool even in 95 degree heat! that big fan drew cool air from the basement all thru the house.

i grew up without AC and didnt have it till about 2002 when my uncle moved in with me for about a year. he couldnt take it and bought a huge window unit. i was ruined from that point on! i could revert back to the old ways in needed though.

still dont have a vehicle with AC (except for wifes Minivan), just roll down that window and out hangs my left arm acting as a radiator cooling my blood....:D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Might not be a bad idea to make a service call to find out what the problem is at least as it could be something simple.

A friend called me the other day to come look at his that went out. His coil was extremely dirty which caused the unit to shut off on high pressure switch. I reset the switch, told him to clean his coil and was outa there in 20 minutes. Such a service call would cost less than $100 and you'd be back in business.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
Unless you or someone in the family has serious medical needs what's wrong with a little sweat:D? It does the body good,LOL.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
mine took a dump.turned out to be a $18 capacitor,,unfortunately the guy put the right one in for the Compressor but the wrong one or hooked the one for the fan wrong and left,when I got home and looked at it the fan was running backwards,called him back he got it running right ,but the next day the fan motor quit, they had to replace the motor not cheap..My wife bought insurance for it through the Gas company last winter when I was out of town ,since our furnace is 20 years old I was going to cancel it sure glad I did not ,the Gas company is dealing with the company about the motor,,I will say after the wife called the Gas company they showed up in 3 hours to fix it,,,yes you can live without air but why,you work without it,kind of nice to come home to cool off,I doubt you can even buy a vehicle without it,personally I don't use mine much in the truck I like fresh air on the way home

·
Fish against the fish...
1,110 Posts
we have radiators - and there is no whole house solution for us - but we're not big fans of AC to begin with (always gives me sinus).

At night dampen a hand towel and take it to bed with you -- turn on a fan put the towel on your chest and let the towel cool you off. it helps in getting to sleep when the rooms fell too hot. this way you can let the fan and fresh air in - since the towel isn;t soaking wet, it won't ruin your bedding or floor if it drops in the night. it dries out quickly.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips and replies guys! I have someone comeing out wensday to look at it. Im keeping my fingers crossed. Last night before going to bed i took a cold shower and had severl fans on me, and it wasnt that bad. I put a small window ac in the babys room so she sleeps through the nigh.
And yea i could go with out one, but i work in the heat all day and really enjoy comeing home to a cooled off house. I also do 90% of the cooking in our house, so when working in 90 degree heat i really dont want to come home and cook in 90 degree heat. Its a luxury im willing to pay the extra money for if the extra money is available. Bt again thanks for the tips they all have been very helpfull. And have also had a couple fellow ogfers offer very generouse offers to me via pm and those were greatfully apreciated and thoughtfull. Thanks again ben for the offer very nice of yu!
so hopefully by wensday night ill be sleeping with the heavy blankets again.LOL
Thanks again everyone for the tips
Bobby

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
In this heat with no AC I think this thread should've been titled "Prayers needed...".

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol pigsticker i agree. Luskily when i got of work the air had been fixed....way cheaper then we thought and its comforable in here now!
Bobby

·
2 min 30 sec from Hoover
550 Posts
Thanks for the tips and replies guys! I have someone comeing out wensday to look at it. Im keeping my fingers crossed. Last night before going to bed i took a cold shower and had severl fans on me, and it wasnt that bad. I put a small window ac in the babys room so she sleeps through the nigh.
And yea i could go with out one, but i work in the heat all day and really enjoy comeing home to a cooled off house. I also do 90% of the cooking in our house, so when working in 90 degree heat i really dont want to come home and cook in 90 degree heat. Its a luxury im willing to pay the extra money for if the extra money is available. Bt again thanks for the tips they all have been very helpfull. And have also had a couple fellow ogfers offer very generouse offers to me via pm and those were greatfully apreciated and thoughtfull. Thanks again ben for the offer very nice of yu!
so hopefully by wensday night ill be sleeping with the heavy blankets again.LOL
Thanks again everyone for the tips
Bobby
Feel for ya, ours went Sunday evening. Cooling fan on the compressor overheated and locked up. Dam thing is less that 6 years old.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gotta love OGF, you'd be hard pressed to find a better group of guys anywhere on the net!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts