Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am new to this Erie Walleye Fishing in the past 4 days i been on the lake 2 times . We have been trolling Dipsy divers and Boards But i am interested in getting in some nite time fishing , I usualy use the Lindy Rig Method But was wondering what you Guys Use , and how ya fish for them up there at nite in the Dark ...Any thing would Help

·
Banned
362 Posts
I used to be a Lindy rig guy. Started fishing Erie mid-summer last year and only used spoons off dipsy divers. Just dragged them around at various depths where I thought I saw marks. This year I have used only worm harnesses behind inline weights off boards or off bottom bouncers on the back poles. And I have done much better, though this has been a weird summer weatherwise. The harnesses have bigger blades and bigger hooks than the ones used on inland lakes. The inlines I use are 1, 2, 3 oz. and the bouncers 2, 3, and 4 oz., but some use up to 6 oz. The most important thing on erie is to find the right marks -- they are real distinctive but there are lots of other similar marks that aren't walleyes. I guess second would be to fish 5-10 feet over the marks, though some days the bouncers do pretty well too. This time of year the big schools are out very deep, but you can find some nice smaller schools close to shore.

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
the good nite fishing starts in late september ,early october when the water cools and the baitfish come close to shore for the warmer water. especially shad. and it can go on till usually december. then again in april thru early late may. fish husky jerks behind boards in 10 to 30 fow. don't be afraid of the dark!

·
Banned
544 Posts
Last night was picture perfect.....i was east of lorain, as Het would say :D,
landed 3 gators, a 20" smallie and had a couple pullbacks. the gators came in 12-15 fow, flat line trolling shallow dive Reef Runners (these run about 10ft down) and a couple Rapalas & X-Raps both shallow & deep diving.....anywhere from Vermillion east will produce walleyes at night and u have the place to yourself. shallow water 8-15 fow is where u want to start. troll speed should be around 1-1.5 max. if u have a good electric motor use it, your set backs can be minimized as u wont spook the fish as easy. a gas kicker works fine too. one particular color lure u will want to buy is a Rapala or similar shallow dive in BLUE/CHROME/W ORANGE BELLY, this color combo will out perform any other color u throw at em, at night.....good luck Mr.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts