Nimisila

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by nixmkt, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Just drove around east side. 98% still covered with ice. NE, campground, & SE ramps still iced in. Assume Main St. ramp same.

Small area of open water between campground and SE ramp from Christman Rd. out to island where stream comes in from east of Christman Rd. Stream bay with parking lot east of Christman Rd. totally open.

Looks like it will be a little while yet.

2. Open area about doubled today. Ramps still iced in. Looks like campground ramp will open up first. Probably a couple of days at least depending on weather.

3. Dmuntean

Dmuntean Bassmaster

Hope Nimi is good this year. I had a tough time finding decent bass there last summer!!!

4. There was a guy wading across the street from
    Eddies on thursday. Use to be a good pike area.
    From what I understand they havent stocked
    pike in Nimi awhile. Good crappie area also. Didnt
    look like he was catching anything.

5. Hey NIX is there still large piles of gravel in the south Main St. ramp? I heard that there was, and that it's for that stupid trail around the lake. I hope they don't make a mess of the parking.:confused:

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Those piles are still there. I also was told they are for the walking trail along the Main St. dam.
    The parking will be a mess till they get them out of there.

7. Water opened up around campground ramp today. Looked like section of open water in front of campground ramp from Christman Rd. all the way across to Main St. Couldn't see if Main St. ramp open. North and south ramps still iced in.

8. let me tell you about pike at nim, when I was a lad [51yrs back ], a guy always took me fishing , there ,across from eddies , that bank was clear ,you could park on that side of the road , we took alot of BIG cats off that shore . up 17#ers . and big pike . real nasty big guys . AH too be young again , those realy were the good old days . THANKS JOE for taking me fishing . see that hode across the road from eddies ? it was a beer joint back them days .

9. Kosars, I believe was the name of the beer joint. Best turtle
    soup I ever had. We used to get big shiners from eddies and
    go straight to the cove on s. main after ice out. My buddy
    caught a 13 lb pike there. I wasnt quite a lad 51 years ago.
    As a matter of fact I wasnt born yet, but I do remember the
    good pike fishing at Nimi.

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The Main St ramp is wide open and ready for business.
    The two east ramps on Christman were still iced in yesterday.

11. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Thanks guys.....for the trip down memory lane....BountyHunter....My mom and dad started taking me fishing, near the bridge where you are talking about .......60 years ago.. Dad would bass fish or cast for crappies up the shoreline and mom would oversee my activities, which ranged from fishing.......to turtle chasing.....frog grabbin.....or anything else that catches a 5 year old boys eye.......As I turned in to a young man.....spent much of my fishing hours fishing in that same area of water and caught alot of real nice bass and pike ......also was great pan-fishing area..... as you said ......the good old days......Jon Sr.

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

There was a 14' aluminim boat in Haynes Bay yesterday. Don't know how he got on the lake. There was nobody parked at the Main St ramp and the the other two ramps were iced in.

13. I don't know which is Hayne's bay but I saw the boat out along Christman Rd. yesterday. He probably used the campground ramp. I don't think it's a problem yet since they still have some of the campground roads blocked off for winter, although someone was in a camping spot friday or sat. evening. I have seen guys using the campground ramp parking for ice fishing and I assume without problems. Don't know when the campground "officially" opens or if it actually closes during the winter.

14. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

the camp ground ramp was open as well as most of the lake North and West
    of C-5. I was out for about 3 hours only got 2 bass and 6 hits all together.
    Nothing big just a 16'' and a 11'' but it sure was fun being out there.

15. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

I was out on Nimisilla yesterday with my 14' basstracker...(on Long lake the day before with the bigger 17' Bass boat)...yes I used the Campgrounds ramp...there was one other boat out there too. I found plenty of open water and followed the ice edges for awhile too...from what I could see the Main Street ramp was open too. I was going to post a picture last night, but the cell picture that i sent myself didn't come through...If I get it I'll post it later.
    The ramp across from Falcon Restaurant was still socked in ice completely.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

16. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Blue dakota? That was me. I thought that was you when i saw the canoe.:)
    You do any good?

17. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i was just at the main street ramp it was wide open as far as i could see there was some ice between the gas wells still but you could launch at the ramp and the gravel is still there in the lot

for the most part portage lakes from what i could see from main street is wide open.........dident check any ramps there

we should be good to go any place this weekend i hope

18. Robert Woodson

Hey Smallieguy!
    Nope, you did better than I did, but we did better than most (LOL)...I liked that little bay that you were in...and the close channel between the island and shore going in there. Yep, I saw the blue dakota...I parked next to you and headed out the other way to give you some space...when I rounded the big island in the distance of the ramp shot...you had loaded up and gone, so I went on into that bay...was hoping to catch up for a minute and chat. Maybe next time. Here are a couple of pictures I had to resend to myself again today and managed to loose the best one...uh-huh...these show the ramp and the ice edge in the distance...the missing one was closer to the ice edge with Canada geese walking around on the ice beside the boat. If you look close on the front deck you'll see my gloves and a half eaten sandwich (Easter dinner). I got the boat registration updated today, (saw yesterday that it had expired the first) and had them do an inspection, got my 2008 sticker, so there'll be no waiting first busy day at the ramps...(LOL). Also went by Kenny Bridges place and had him to replace the hoses on my '56 Johnson's fuel tank...turned out to be most of the gas feed problem I'd been having, that and a little pro-tinkering and the little Basstracker is running on gas again too...Kenny's a godsend...great guy.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

19. Robert Woodson

Right, so where are the pictures? Lets try this again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]