close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nimisila Sunday

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Big Daddy, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Well, spent my Father's Day bassin' out at Nimi. Weather was great, the airshow planes were flying overhead, and the bass were, well, not on fire, but I caught some.

Got 9 in the boat, biggest was 3 lb. Most were in the 1 1/2lb range.

I have been having a problem out there though. I fish a worm, Texas rigged, with a 1/16oz bullet weight. The last 2 times out, I have had 6 break-offs! My drag is set probably too loose, as I lost 4 fish today, and I'm using freshly spooled 10lb test Trilene. I've never had the problem before either. I feel the darn fish too, and one today was a HAWG. The only thing I can deduce is that the weight is wearing weak spots in the knot or the line. I don't peg the sinker, would that help do you think?

Man, I wish I could have at least seen those fish. They sure felt heavy when I set the hook.

Carl

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

BD. I texas rig with a 1/16th oz bullet during 80% of my bassin (no peg) and have never had any problems. What kind of knot are you tying, and are all these breaks from the same spool?

3. Tying Palomar knot. Never EVER had an issue before.

Had break-offs on 8# as well as 10# test, freshly spooled. The only other thing I think it could be is walleye biting the line. There are some OK eyes in Nimisila, but they usually bite the worm in half and keep going. I'll figure it out...

Carl

4. Big Daddy,
    I found in Nimi that slider heads work best in the weed cover. I also had many break offs due to bullet weights, but started using slider heads and stopped losing tackle. Gomakatzu (sp?) also makes a similar head. Just a worm hook with a tapered lead head, for those of you who haven;t used them. I also went with a carolina rigged craw on the sandy and rocky bottoms of nimi with good results.
    Huntinbull

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

maybe it's the line, I've heard of others haveing problems with Berkley trilene. switched to yozuri and P-line hybrids and haven't had as many problems.

6. One was Trilene and one was P-line.

I use slider heads out there sometimes. I'll give it a shot

Carl

7. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Maybe its the bullet weights. They may be a little rough inside and the abrasion is heating the line making it weak in spots. I had that problem with some egg sinkers before. just a thought...

8. May i suggest using Excaliber line(silver thread). Great stuff, I rarely break off and there is very little memory in the line. The thin diameter is good on nimi and other clear lakes. I started using it for erie smallie fishing and now i using on just about all my reels. even for flipping sometimes when Izor is too heavy for the situation.

9. I'll be trying just about all your suggestions. Thanks. Anything to get the bigger bass!

10. I use bullet weights alot but don't have that problem. I usually don't T-Rig though with 8 or 10lb test. I start at 12lb and use up to 15lb test when t-rigging depending on the type of cover I'm fishing in... It could be the brand of bullet weights your using or the batch of them, maybe they do have some rough edges.

I rarely peg my sinkers..

Taker easy,
    Bill

11. Dingo

Dingo

I second the comment on silver thread. Always has been one of the best lines for strength, abrasion resistance, and characteristics below freezing. Have been using it for steelhead fishing for over 20 years.

I have been using slip sinkers that are different materials other than lead with better success in regards to line wear. Seems that the lead ones had more with quality issues -- probably since they're lower in price. I like to use a small glass bead with a brass slip sinker to avoid issues with knot wear.

Could also have to do with where you are fishing in nimi. I will check the line and retie often when in the area of the dam or gas well points. The sharp edges on the rocks can weaken a line quickly.

12. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Weeds can be very abrasive,not to mention the inside of the Bass's mouth.
    8 lb..is also a no no.
    A lot of times they inhale your worm up past the bullet sinker,and you are raking your line across those rough sandpaper jaws! :D
    Try to get in the habit of retying at least every couple fish. :D
    I personally hate Trilene...try Bass Pro Excel..good line for the money.
    I guess we just need to go fishing and figure this one out! :D

13. Sounds GREAT to me Lewis. Let's make some plans....

Carl

14. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I ream the inside of my bullet weights with a large needle I use to thread nightcrawlers on snelled hooks. I also use a an orange fluorescent bead between the knot and the bullet weight.

The bead makes a difference on slow days. We figure it imitates flared gills.

Oh, by the way. Fireline all the way.