Nimi

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by nixmkt, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Fished cove C-4 this afternoon. Nothing stupendous but didn't get skunked. Getting too old to row in the wind though.

Got 4 crappie, 8,9,10, & 12". Two on tubes w/ crappie nibble and two on minnows. Got a 13 1/2" LM on a 2 1/2" rapala original countdown used as a jerk bait.

A big thank you to smallieguy for his help and direction.

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Nice going Tom and you are welcome.But I am just passing along what i was
    taught.We should both be thanking Carl aka BigDaddy for hooknig us up with
    that seminar.

3. Not too productive today with fish but great to be out in the sun and warmth. Got to meet Woody at the ramp. Apparently he needs someone to start a new thread on how to properly tie an anchor to the boat.

Fished in C-5 and the bar just north. Got a 14" +/- LM on a crappie tube w/ waxworm. Decided not to use the net only to watch the jig hook break at the bend just before fish cleared the gunwale. Guess I'll have to at least hold the net under 'em lifting into the boat from now on. If anyone else catches it, let me know how big it actually is. Also got an 11" crappie and a 12" LM on minnows.

4. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

Had a terriffic if short day fishing,
    Bobby had baseball this morning and Dad didn't make the lake until nearly two o'clock...must be something about that red canoe top-not on my van...Nick (nixmkt) recognized me coming and rowed on over for a freindly hello...(by the way, I saw that fish that broke the hook at the gunwale over at C-5...he isn't exaggerating about that one...and this old dog used the net faithfully for the rest of the day) I had told him my story about loosing two anchors in a row over at State Park last week to weathered knots on the old basstracker...dropped em both over the side for the last time within moments of each other and then was left to deal with the wind with the trolling motor alone...(LOL)...it's about time I learn something by experience! Heh-heh, I could use a clinic or a new thread on "stupid boat tricks" the first anchor taking the final plunge should have told me to check the other before tossing it over the side huh? At least you would think so.
    Anyway, It was great to meet Nick,, we live pretty close and I see him reporting on the same things I'm seeing all the time. A couple guys came in behind me so we had to call it short, after launching I ran straight into Smallieguy (who also had spotted me coming and hollered a greeting)...seeing the two of them made the day before the real fishing began. I want to thank Smallieguy too. He was good enough to take a few minutes to share with me what he'd been using and to point me in a couple directions that I'm sure will pay off...I was out for a little under four hours and I took two decent Bass today...one 14' and one 16" and round about two and a half pounds...both came on the "high priced spread" my jointed LuckyCraft Medium Runner, I also managed to snag a large shad with it...there was a whole herd of them running back and forth one place that I was at, getting chased straight out of the water by spectral hunters...I guess that big buck lure has pretty well paid for itself now...(LOL). Heres a picture of the pick of the litter...hope to see you guys out there a little earlier tommorrow. I understand that there are Tournaments on Long, Nimi, and State park tommorrow...might be a little crowded ya think?
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

Best today 16" 2 1/2lb...
    [​IMG]

5. All

Will be out in the morning on my inflatable. Hope to see some of you out there. Won't be there long as I have to be at work in the afternoon. Anyone know what time the baitshops open in the morning? Looking to throw some roadrunners and will also throw some minnows. I have heard that some folks have been taking buckets of crappie out over last few days. Lets remember not to take more than we need for a few days of table fare. Something not right about taking 6" crappie home. Hardly makes a fillet. And yet there are so many that take everything they catch. I really believe this is why there is such a problem at Mogadore and Wingfoot. I have seen folks taking coolers of fish from these waters. Last year on both lakes, very few 9" crappie to be found. I love to eat fish but not at at the expense of ruining the fish population at several of our wonderful lakes. See you Monday

6. Very slow day for me. Fished n.e. bay of island in front of campground ramp. Got one hit on minnow but lost it half-way in. Also tried outside C-5. Had one hit on minnow there but missed it. Also hit C-4. Only got one 9" crappie on a minnow. Called it a day.

7. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

That was it for me too...saw Tom (Nixmkt) out there, later stopped and anchored to sit back and eat lunch at (C-4) fished for Crappie in the interlude...took one 10" crappie...who decided to join me this evening for some finger food (LOL) The rest of the day I was all over and had only one strike (or near snag). Fish sure seemed a lot spookier than they did the day before. There was quite a bit of fishing pressure over the past couple days...If I were a bass, I'd be tempted to stay home too. Not a good day to come out and play.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/ Coventry

[​IMG]