Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured out the elusive walleye in nimisila in the last few weeks. All nice fish from 2 to 5lb range. Drift and vertical jig humps is all I'm gonna say.

·
Registered
274 Posts
how many have you caught? ive caught like one every few years there. id like to be able to figure out how to get them

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
they stocked Saugers and/or Saugeye in there for years. Never caught a true walleye from there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
they stocked Saugers and/or Saugeye in there for years. Never caught a true walleye from there.
They discontinued the saugeye stocking somewhere around 1999(not sure on the exact date) and switched to stocking walleye. They are true walleye in Nimisila and there are some pretty decent ones.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Hello guy's I never heard of this lake until I read the post today. I looked it up on ODNR, it looks very good. Is is an all electric or can you run gas motors? any info would be appreciated. Would like to try new water.

Thanks Brian

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nimi is my hometown lake and have fished it many times in the past few years....if you plan to go there to catch walleye you are going to have a very tough time....im not saying they arent in there...but they are very few and far between and hard to catch....they are decent size also......wont catch the little dinks like berlin or mosquito.....as for bass fishing it has many very good size bass in there but it surely has its days were it is really tough to find them....word is there is 2 state records in there from the 2009 electro shock...yes electric motor only. it is my favorite bass lake and caught some really nice fish over the years. but it has really changed the past 2 years and has became alot tougher.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think my brother may tournament fish for bas there come to think of it. he does the all electric gig. Thanks again brian

·
Banned
544 Posts
Another hint...increase the size of the bait and speed of your troll.
We caught a 22" and 19" last week speed trolling big rattle traps. Also nailed some really nice bass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes it is only electric there. I have not caught a walleye there YET. I talked to one guy there and he said to use Vibee's. Will be going there this friday to try again. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Nimi is my hometown lake and have fished it many times in the past few years....if you plan to go there to catch walleye you are going to have a very tough time..."

"...but it has really changed the past 2 years and has became alot tougher.
Agreed. Nimi is my home base as well - I live about a mile from it and have fished it steadily for about 22 years.

Saugeye used to be plentiful, I got them all the time on Rapalla deep divers, but I believe they stopped stocking the Saugs in the late 90's.

I've talked to guys who have picked up some walleye, and obviously they are in there because members here are posting their catches, but I haven't caught any.

I think that the bite on the whole has been down the last few years on Nimi - I know that there has been an increase in out of town anglers who are keeping fish that they shouldn't be keeping, (I've witnessed and lectured a few people about it, to no avail of course) and litter is on the rise...

I wish people would show more respect - Nimi is a beautiful lake.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a buddy who was banging 5 pounder after 5 pounder with jerkbaits on a few humps this spring. I can't wait to take a crack at them late this fall!
He don't keep them either, he was bass fishing.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That is right, all walleye stocked there now, and most of the time I fish for them I catch several, drifting the humps or dropoffs, twister and nighties catch them for me. SPRING is a great time.

·
Will Yak For Food
2,947 Posts
I know that there has been an increase in out of town anglers who are keeping fish that they shouldn't be keeping, (I've witnessed and lectured a few people about it, to no avail of course) and litter is on the rise...

I wish people would show more respect - Nimi is a beautiful lake.
AMEN! brother, --Tim.................................................................................................................................................................. Primate Macaque Rhesus macaque

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts