Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit NIMI with the brothers and my 13 year old after 8:00 pm got some nice crappies and a real nice perch. Still kind of slow though. Water temp was 83 deg. No wind good clear water.
Here's what I'm wondering. Why do people insist on fishing at the west ramp. RIGHT ON THE RAMP! We come in and it's dark and they're line is almost impossible to see. I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in trying to untangle they're line from my trolling motor prop with nearly no light. Can't they find a spit where it's less likely they're line will end up in Some ones gear.

Whatever........

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
750 Posts
I was out from about 8 till midnight only caught one crappie and took my wife out for the first time and she got a 2 pound bass off the gas well point. Her first fish ever! Didn't know that till it was in the boat. And I know what you mean about the docks. I thinks its fine to fish from. But when you see someone coming in or going out! Move! You have a shoreline we only have one ramp and dock. So many times I come back in and hear people pissed off they have to move their lawn chair from the END OF THE DOCK! And bring the line in so I can bring my boat in. I will say some if not most will be nice and move with a smile:) Just don't think I'm the ass when you're parking in my driveway and I'm trying to leave.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right RJohnson, most people are cool about moving. But what I'm so baffled about is why fish there? Can't they find a different spot where the potential for a tangle up or the inconvenience of having to move their line doesn't exist? At the west ramp, they could fish 30 feet to their right and there would be no issue. There are lots of places to shore fish on the West Bank. I don't know, I just don't get people sometimes.
High five the wife for the first fish!! Now you have a permanent fishing buddy! Honestly, I wish I could get my wife into it. It's just not her thing. I got my son and my brothers though so ill be alright!!

Hey one other thing. Did you see the guy with his wife in two yaks with their kids along the west shore? It brought a big smile to my face to see a family enjoying each other and nature like they were BUT!!!! They didn't have a life jacket on one of the two kids! This little guy couldn't have been older than 3. That is toooo risky and I really wish I would have said SOMTHING.

Tight lines

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been told by a few people that the constant stirring up the ground with people loading and unloading boats attracts fish. The ground gets disturbed putting floating food in the water and causing cats to come in to the constant disrupted ground. Thats what I hear and assume why people fish there. I never have for the same reason your describing. Its an etiquette issue to me.

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
lazy people. even I think it makes sense to get out the way when someone is trying to get in/out the water when fishing a dock. but apparently some don't. oh well. no one should have to tell you to get out the way when they need to use the ramp. if they get their lines chopped up, then its their fault for being stupid.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Regarding the kid.: are we sure that the kid didn't have one of the newer fangled life jackets that have the floats built into a "shirt"?

From Drew on my Droid X

LMB: 18 largest-13"
Gills:
Crappie: 6 largest 9"
Other: 1

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding the kid.: are we sure that the kid didn't have one of the newer fangled life jackets that have the floats built into a "shirt"?

From Drew on my Droid X

LMB: 18 largest-13"
Gills:
Crappie: 6 largest 9"
Other: 1
I'm pretty sure he didn't. He had a t-shirt on and was moving around quite a bit. He was having a great time for sure. God love him.

A friend of mine and I got to talking about this. The dad was breaking the law by having his minor child in a watercraft without a life jacket. In my friends eyes, it was my responsibility to contact authority's. in retrospect, I kind of agree.

What would you do?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts