close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Night time smallmouth

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by creekwalker, Jul 28, 2004.

1. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Well, with the wife being 8 months pregnant I have not been able to get out of the house as early or as often as I used to, so I decided to try fishing at night for smallmouth as I've read that the big ones usually feed at night. Seems it worked out to my advantage :)

I went the last two nights starting at about 8:30 and fishing until 10:30 in a creek off the Ohio River near my house. First night I caught 6 smallies, all over 12", the largest was 15". The second night (was cooler during the day and cloudy) I caught 15 fish, most over 12" and two were 16".

Both nights I started with a YUM 2.5" Crawbug while it was still light out. Based on the previous post of the fellow GFO member catching almost 60 on this bait, I ran out and bought some :D, well worth the money....these things are great!

Swtiched to a jitterbug after dark and had some explosive action.

Catches split about 50/50 on the Crawbug and the jitterbug. I probably missed as many strikes as I caught fish...hadn't quite got the feel of the Crawbug until the end. I missed one large one because I forgot to readjust my drag after fighting one of the 16" ones :mad:

And of course I had one that threw the jitterbug on me right at the bank...came about 2" from hitting me in the face. :eek:

All in all, a good couple of evenings on the water.

2. catking

catking Banned

Black Jitterbugs + Nighttime + smallie waters = BIG SMALLIES !!! Sounds as if you found this out :D Great action !!!..CATKING

3. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Well, I didn't have a black jitterbug even though they probably are easier to track for the smallies at night. I probably had the worst of colors chartruse/firetiger. Probably contributed to the many missed strikes I had on that bait :confused: The second night was a little better...probably because it was a 3/4 moon and mostly clear. I could almost see where I was casting, so the smallies could probably track a little better.

Looks like another trip back to the store...wife will be happy :D

creekwalker