close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Night Fishing Lights - boats

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Jul 23, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

What lighting setups do you night fishing boaters use on your rigs? I'm looking for something that will plug into a 12v recept, and won't attract every bug in the state...enough illumination that I can see what I'm doing, yet not so much that you can see from space!

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

That's PERFECT. Thanks TB.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

or you could use a flash light. But then you sight fishermen would have troubles. do any of you guys fish blind, with just the light from the sky?

4. I don't always use my black light. In fact I just bought it last year. I normally fished at night with no lights and then just used a flash light to retie. I think you'll find though its pretty convenient to use the black light. They actually just light things up just enough, atleast mine does. I use a fluorescent blue line on a couple of my rods and when under black light it looks pretty wild. Fish don't seem to care either way.

5. I use them same light as TB,as good & bright as they are still the drunks can't seem to see them.daryl

6. Can the fish see your line also?

7. I had 12volt rope lighting. Ran it on the gunnels and on the floor. Was just enough to see but not enough to attract bugs! The only problem is its difficult to find, but very cheap! !

8. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Shake, you want to get yourself two blacklights, the dual kind, blacklight on one side and white light on the other. One for the front of the boat, one for the back. I had the one on my side of the boat plugged into a lighter, the one on the back hooked to the battery. Then get yourself some good night-line, clear blue stren for example. Stuff looks like rope under those blacklights and is absolutely necessary in my book to see the strikes when fishing plastics. I don't know how many times I've had bass pick up a worm and swim sideways with it, and I never would have detected the strike if I wasn't able to see the line swimming sideways.

9. I do a lot of overnight trips and I like to turn the lights on my boat off after I'm in position. I use regular scotch tape to affix "glow sticks" to the tips of my rods. When I get a good fish on; I flip on the stern light so I can see to net the fish - otherwise I keep the lights off. It has worked good for me!

10. I second what CaptnRoger said...that's the kind I have..it has a black light and a regular white fluoroscent light both. Now that I'm home I checked and mine is the Stan Sloan Zorro Night light system. I bought mine at Kames for around 45.00. Supposedly the Stan Sloan lights are better than like bass pro or other but not really sure.

As far as the fishing seeing the line, well it wouldn't be any different than daytime and fish seeing the line. Who knows... it's just regular fishing line but as CaptnRoger said, I use somethng similiar to Stren Blue.

You could almost use two black lights, one for up front and one for back of the boat. They just don't light up that much.

11. I was curious as to what you are fishing for? To me it makes a differance. Bass fishing the Stan Sloan lights are alot better and hold up alot longer than Bass Pro lights. Ive had both went thru several Bass pro lights before I boubht the stan sloan Ive had ever since. For catfishing I dont care to watch my line I perfer to see the rod tip. I use 2 four inch round yellow (amber) lights I love them. For general illumanation in the boat I got two lights at wal-mart made by optronics there tan in color they come with an amber lense and a clear lens I use the amber. They are the kind people put in rv or campers for light they have a switch on the bottom they have never failed for three years of Duck Hunting and fishing. Ill try to post where they are on the optronics web page if I can find them. http://www.optronicsinc.com/rv.htm They are the RV-PL3A I hope this helps. Being an Electrician by trade I kind of get into lighting.

12. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Rob and I both use little lights that have a nylon straps that goes around our head. (Like a "coal miners" light) Our lights have the red LED option for better night time vision. This red light does not attract the bugs like the white lights do, and are also very easy on the eyes.
    I think we paid about 15.00 each for them at walmart or Kmart.
    What makes these so wonderful is that they are "handsfree", and the light is always exactly where you need it.

Reel Lady

13. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

so the question is most of you guys turn off your running lights?

14. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

F4F, in some states it is not legal to run off running lights at night, even when your motor isn't running. I can't speak for Ohio as I don't fish much at night here, but in KY and TN, the law is that you have to have your running lights on. When I'm fishing stripers at night, I break those laws. In the spring, when the stripers are shallow chasing shad, stealth counts, and while I would never put my boat or the folks in my boat at risk, I turn my lights off except the blacklights as I'm usually in a cove and have plenty of time to turn them off if I hear or see a boat running anywhere within a quarter mile of me.

15. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Thats what i thought just curious.