Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to go night fishing this Saturday either Acton or Caesars Creek. I have a boat and green lights. I would like to try and do a little fishing for both cats and crappie. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I know it's two different types of fishing but thought I might be able to try one out then the other.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am hoping to go night fishing this Saturday either Acton or Caesars Creek. I have a boat and green lights. I would like to try and do a little fishing for both cats and crappie. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I know it's two different types of fishing but thought I might be able to try one out then the other.
Went out last Saturday night with green lights fishing for crappie at CC.
Was fishing in 37 fow and was showing fish everywhere from 10 fow to the bottom.
Caught 5 dink crappie in 3 1/2 hrs using minnows.
I would try for cats but not so sure green lights will help you.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Ceasars has a lot of channel cats... some really nice ones too (10+)... Im sure theres a flathead population in there but i've never caught one... channel cats are pretty much spawning right now so catching them will be a challenge... not sayin' ya can't... but it will not be a hot n heavy bite.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Try the crappie over deeper water, timber coves or by the bridge legs, not sure on the channel cats but I've see some nice ones come out of there, I would probably try some main lake structure and try for saugeye and maybe have a rod out for cats too and see what happens if you get tired of crappie fishing. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I haven't done it for sometime but we caught tons of Wbass under lights at Cowan and Rocky- frk. Now is prime time and we always picked up a few crappie, cats and even an occasional walleye/ saugeye. I always Tight lined minnows on one rod and cast a small marabou jig on another rod, Big Fun.
Good luck and Good Fishing !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any thoughts on Acton Lake?
I don't have a green light and I've never tried crappie fishing at night on Acton. That being said, crappie were still hitting last weekend near the middle of the lake, east side is best for me. I've caught 2 channels this year that were 10lb+ but as 9Left mentioned, they are spawning and the bite has been slow the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the feedback! One more question! If I fish for Saugeye what color jigs and size? I and just looking to have some good Father's Day fishing. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Saugeye... use the loudest, most offensive colors you have... pink, yellow, purple, chartreuse, white, lime green.... put a 3-4" twisty tail grub on a 1/4 ounce jighead and retrieve it slow near the bottom. You will undoubtedly lose jigs to snags... but thats saugeye fishing...and precisely why you use jigs… They are cheap but they work

·
Registered
196 Posts
Be careful pulling crappie 25-30' dp. They have low survival rate. So says Al Linder? Cat and saugeye fishing at same time. Twice the fun. But you usually catch more saugeyes at C Creek. Still a win!
Try red,white,chartreuse,1/4 to 1/2oz. What ever gets you to the bottom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts