Night fishing at the res.

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by grdhandyman, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Well I have been night fishing at the McComb res. and have failed to bring anything in for the past 3 weeks. Been using a slip bobber and 1/0 hook with a 1/2 oz egg sinker. The bait of choice has been either a small 'gill or night crawler. Tried different depths from about 16' to just over 7'. I head out just before dark and stay out for about 3 to 4 hours and nothing. Sometimes I can see the bobber move in different directions, but never a hit. Am I doing anything wrong or are other folks having the same bad luck?

2. I was fishing there one night a couple months ago for walleye but was only catching catfish instead. Using a slip bobber and tiny glowstick attached to it, and a nitecrawler down about 7 feet , I fished to the right of the dock on the larger res. right where the post and cable are and didnt catch anything. But then I moved just to the left of the boat ramp and was catching tiny sunfish almost as fast as I could throw my line in, I was in the light from the streetlight and some other folks's lantern right there. I then moved farther left about 30 feet to where I the light on the water stopped and I could see the transition area where the light stopped and the dark began ( on the water ). I fished just over the edge into the dark and was catching some really good size catfish. Of course this was a couple months ago and I havent been there since but maybe you can get some useful info. from this. My theory is that the sunfish hang out at the dock and ramp at night where there is cover from predators, and that the catfish seemed to be hanging around the transition area ( light to dark ).

3. The NW corner of the big res is where I catch all my saugeyes and crappie at night. Usually in spring up till late May and June. I like 1/8oz or 1/4 oz white roadrunners. Almost always catch fish. Usually fish and hour before dark till hour after.