Night bite on the ice

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by JIG, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Has any one tried lights on the ice at night? Tried for an hour last night and it didnt take long to drum up some bait. Just couldnt get/mark any fish! Maybe need to move over deeper water. Like hunting a needle in a hay stack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: :D

2. snag

snag

last season i put in my submersible lite looked great didn,t get anything,trouble was my cord was only about 8 ft or so and i was in about 17 ft of water,but it worked really nice in open water up by the dam,will try again this yr.........

3. To bad you couldent get a dip net or something like that. :D

4. Im just lighting up the snow/ice and gettin bait too come in on 12fow. Theyre are some suspended fish but still leaves for ALOT. Tough to mark anything over the channel with some sort of an edge.;)

5. lights on the ice work well when the fish are already roaming in the area. they kind of give them something to roam toward. If there arent any game fish around they wont find you. Ive done best over fish that you mark but cant catch very well during the day. If the fish are in a deeper hole during the day just move up to the first flat or ledge nearby and they should be there. Its mostly a crappie tactic. since they cant actually see very well in complete darkness like eyes can they like the light.

6. Been to cold for me at night without a shanny. My fishin buddy didnt make it long. And Ya the crapps do love that light but so do the eyes. Deff more about the bait and edges of the light. You mark it and there will be fish in and around it. NEVER seen a fish so illusive to sonar as a walleye.

7. Guess that brings up the question on color of light. White or green.

8. snag

snag

we,ve used both colors with not not much difference in the color pref- they also use the green ones for the smelt run it draws the zooplankton then the smelt come in ,that may work soon up at edgewater or geneva,,

9. Ive had an interest in this topic myself. Is it best to drop a light in a seperate hole and then fish/sonar thru a hole maybe 5 feet away from it or something like that ?

10. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

I would drill a seperate hole 10-15 feet from where I was going to fish and drop the light there if I was to use one.The only chance I get to fish is after dark.I don't use a submerged light,and do not have any trouble catching fish.I've caught bluegill aftermidnight that would blow away the daytime bite by a mile.Non-stop action for a full hour at a time after midnight is not uncommon.I also tend to catch larger fish at night. Change your strategy and give the night bite a shot.Chances are if your not catching them during the daylight hours the fish are feeding after dark..............Mark