Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TeamOGF
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With camping for a week and a half, we like to change things up and go out for supper now and then. We are totally unfamiliar with whats available and where?

Where do you like to go when in the area? !%

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have heard real good things about the Italian place on US 23 on the Northern edge of town, The Warehouse. It is right by the fair entrance. Old Bag of Nails on Sandusky, Vaqueros on Wootring behind the McD's on S Sandusky is good. Lots of restaurants in the downtown area, too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Vaqueros for Mexican is good but I like Señor Antonio's further south about 10 minutes on 23 in Lewis Center across from Home Depot. Payne's pizza is good as is Amatto's if you like a more eclectic pizza. Hoggy's is good BBQ, it's in downtown Delaware. 1808 is a mid priced steak place that's pretty good especially for the price...the benet's are awesome, it's located just off Sandusky st in downtown Delaware. ( I think average entre at 1808 is around $15). Finally, if your into sushi, Chandra's Bistro has excellent sushi...no joke. They have a lot of specialty rolls including the Mountain Roll which isn't on the menu but is always available...mountain roll is their most popular item. Chandra's is on Sandusky st in downtown Delaware as well.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
Old Bag of Nails has a KILLER fish n chips. Although they did something weird with their tartar sauce at the Delaware location. Seems like they "southwesternized" it or something. Maybe they've reverted by now I dunno. Either way, check it out!

·
TeamOGF
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great suggestions guys! Thanks so much!

I can't wait to try them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great call on the fish and chips at bag of nails...can't go wrong with that. I'm thinking last time I had it the tartar sauce was "normal" but I can't say for sure nor would it stop me from getting it again. Top notch!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check Yelp.com. It's a user based review site that has a lot of restaurant reviews. They have a smartphone app as well. I don't work for them or anything but a lot of times you can find really good hole-in-wall or mom and pop places that may or may not be off the beaten path. I use it all the time to find new and interesting places to try.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The B and J tavern in Waldo is famous for their fried bolonga sandwiches

·
Registered
441 Posts
is it band j? i always thoght it was g and r.but, my memory is getting short.
you could go north to marion and find some pretty good food also.most are on the eastside just off 23.

·
TeamOGF
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all of your great recommendations!

While camping on vacation at Delaware State Park, we had rain for the first week we were there, and celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary. Both of these gave us reason for eating out a number of times so we got to try most of the great places you posted.

First, for our anniversary we went to "1808 American Bistro". When it comes to fine dining I expect a quality meal. Wow! I was completely satisfied in every way with my meal, and so was my wife. I ordered their 48 Hour Short Rib dinner, and my wife their Goat Cheese Mezzaluna.
They were nothing less than excellent!
I give the restaurant my highest recommendation.

Old Bag of Nails was very good. The fish & chips were really good, I wish we had one up here.

Hoggie's is closed, like someone posted above, but there is a new barbecue restaurant on 36 east of Delaware called Dickie's.
We had lunch there one rainy afternoon and liked it, very good smoked aspect. There is limited seating but a drive-up window for carry-out.

Another restaurant we tried was Opa'. It’s a small bar/grill with standard quality fair. I got their steak, which was perfectly prepared but had an abundance of fat that needed trimmed off by myself, "points deducted".

Amato's - We also got a couple "eclectic" pizzas that we liked from here. I like Hawaian pizzas and had the Aloha. Very good, but the crust was overly dry.

Throw in some great breakfasts at Cracker Barrel, and Bob Evans and that pretty well sums up our eating outside of camp.

All of these meals brightened up a rainy week for us, thanks so much! :B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts