close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nice Nimisila Saugeye,??? Pic included

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Dmuntean, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Dmuntean

Dmuntean Bassmaster

My buddie caught this nice Saugeye???? Or is it a Walleye????? We couldn't tell. Help! Anyways it was 22 inches and 5 lbs. 5 0z. He was using a crankbait fishing for bass in the south end of the lake near the dam.
    My pic was too big to load. You can click on photo gallery at the top of the page, then type in "Nimisila Saugeye".

2. Nice fish, looks like a walleye to me.

3. second that believe its a walleye also

4. Looks like a walleye to me too.

They also have Saugeyes in there as well though. I caught and 22 1/2" over by the same spot a few years back. Saugeye's were stocked then switched to walleye because the ODNR were scared they might make their way to Erie.

5. definitely a walleye. notice the white mark on the bottom of it's tail. nice fish

6. saugeye also have that white tip on their tale.... it is the saugers that don't! saugeye also have very distinct markings on their dorsal fin.... I think like 17 of them or something! I heard it was an exact # maybe not!

7. They are spotted while walleye's aren't. Fin wise.

8. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Still quite a nice fish for there! I too, would have to say walleye!!

9. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Congratulations.
    No doubt about it, that is a very nice size fish for Nimi. :B

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Saved Fish

According to the Sportman's Connection Fishing Guide saugeye were last stocked in there in 1996. If anything is left from that class year they would be big and old. In 1999 and early 200x's they apparently did stock some walleye... this would have to be what you hauled in.
    Regardless it was still a great catch.
    Good job! Thanks for sharing!!

11. It's definately a walleye but not 5lb 5 oz. Still a nice fish though.

12. Dmuntean

Dmuntean Bassmaster

OK?????????????
    Guess my Berkley digital scale must be broken then........

13. Walleye fishermen usually use the -20 from the inches caught to guestimate a fish. So in theory, it should be like 2 and something lbs.

Im not gonna argue though.

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Saved Fish

15. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I finally looked at the picture in your gallery since I can't see the picture in your thread. That's a standard Nimi walleye. They all have that color and 90% of the time will be between 21" & 23" and about 2-5-3.0 pounds.
    Tasty critters aren't they? They are much sweeter and cleaner tasting than Lake Erie walleye.

16. Nice fish! I don't know about that sweeter tasting, but they must be real good then. My freezer full of Lake Erie eyes taste pretty sweet to me. Pretty sweet indeed!:)