Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Certified Hawg Master
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went fishing yesterday for bass at a private pond close to where I live. Fished from about 3:00pm to 4:30 Pm. I Had A Great Day On The Water. I caught 5 Bass Total. The First one was about 6 inches. WHAT A HAWG. The other 5 bass I caught where a little better. The Next one was about 2 pounds and caught him on a senko. The Next 2 where bout 3.5 pounds (18 inches) and nailed them with a lizard. I then decided to try a little Top water action so I pulled out my Popper. I caught my next one on this and it was a MONSTER HAWG. I was freaking out when I got him close to the boat and saw how big he was. THIS FISH WAS HUGE. I Finally got him it the boat and couldn’t believe it. It measured 22.5 Inches. I got my scale out but when I turned it on I don’t think It was calibrated correctly It said it weighed only 5.1 pounds. On my tape measure sticker that is on the boat it says the average weight of a fish that is 22 inches is 6.7 pounds. Now this fish didn’t have the biggest of bellies but it still wasn’t skinny or anything. I was still excited to have caught the fish but think the weight was off on the scale. Like I said it was 22.5 inches. I took pictures but my stupid camera (Cheep Digital) Didn’t do very good. You can’t really see how big the fish is. I was ticked. My wife usually goes with me but she didn’t go this time so no one was there to take a picture of me holding the fish and trying to hold a bass that size out in front of you and taking a picture of it isn’t easy. I will post the pictures later when I can but what do you think this fish would have weighed at 22.5 inches long. I half to say my scale was off so I am going to say it was a sold 6 pounds. I caught one more that was like about 3 pounds on another senko and then I started towards shore. I tossed the popper out one more time and it got sucked under by another fish. I didn’t hook it very good because I got him close to the boat and he spit the lure. I got a good look at him and would say he was right about 4 pounds. Anyway like I said it was a great day on the water. What a trip.

I got that Hawg!

·
Waiting for the tap tap.
142 Posts
Way to go!! Feels good don't it? Looking foreword to the pics! In regards to your scale; I have been wondering if maybe mine is off somehow as well.
Anyone have a good method for testing a digital scale?

·
Certified Hawg Master
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Ohio Angler,

Gary Yamamoto makes the senko. I think that a few other lure folks do as well. I get mine at Dicks Sporting Goods. They carry a wide range of the Gary Yamamoto custom baits.

Heck Yea jellywormer it sure feels good to finally get a few fish in the boat worth talken about. For a few i was thinking i was cursed or something but looks like the curse is gone.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My digital scale always seems to stick right below that five lb. mark for smallies at Dale Hollow. It must be because they are in a different time zone or something. :p :D :rolleyes: Seriously, congrats on a great fish. Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Danny

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats on the very nice ohio bass! Looking forward to the pics!

As far as the scale goes I tested mine with some dumbells that were around the house. Everytime I have thought a scale was off the dumbell proves me wrong. I just put it in a kroger bag and weigh it out. You could also use a gallon of water or anything with a constant weight.

·
The Corn Chucker
3,852 Posts
wow..what a coincident..i was driving back from Indy today and fished somewhere there, using senko, and caught some smallies..they were ok sized...what a great bait..thats all i have in my tackle apart from my carp stuff.. :)

·
Certified Hawg Master
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried useing weights to check the scales accuracy here is what I got. I weighed a 2 pound 8 ounce weight and got two pounds Six ounces.
I weighed a 5 pound weight and got 4 pounds 5 ounces. I weighed a 10 pound weight and got 9 pounds 15 ounces. I do know that weight bench weights are not always right on the money but dont know what to make of this. I think when I turned on the scale at the pond (I was very excited) I might havehad a slight pull on the metal hook of the scale when it first turned on and calibrated itself. Who Knows all I know is that that fish was a HAWG and a Half. It was a huge rush reeling in that monster.

·
Banned
5,617 Posts
Very nice bass there 'Hawg !!! Some people swear by them sencos. And as you know, lizards can be deadly when used in the spring time. CATKING :)

·
Certified Hawg Master
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the pics. Finally got unlazy. Like I said before the pictures didn't turn out like I had hoped. I have a big bass proshop sticker tape measure stuck to the boat. I put the fish on the sticker and tried to take pictures but you cat really see any numbers. The picture labled bass3post1 is a picture of a fish that went just over 3 pounds. I think he was like 3.4 or something on my scale. the picture labled bass 22inchpost1 is a picture of the 22 1/2 inch bass. enjoy the pictuers and I think I am going to hire someone to go with me next time just to take pictures. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Those are some very nice bass. I'm sure you will have no problem finding a picture taker if you're catching bass like those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts