close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nice Day For Bass

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bass_Hawg, May 26, 2004.

1. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Went fishing yesterday for bass at a private pond close to where I live. Fished from about 3:00pm to 4:30 Pm. I Had A Great Day On The Water. I caught 5 Bass Total. The First one was about 6 inches. WHAT A HAWG. The other 5 bass I caught where a little better. The Next one was about 2 pounds and caught him on a senko. The Next 2 where bout 3.5 pounds (18 inches) and nailed them with a lizard. I then decided to try a little Top water action so I pulled out my Popper. I caught my next one on this and it was a MONSTER HAWG. I was freaking out when I got him close to the boat and saw how big he was. THIS FISH WAS HUGE. I Finally got him it the boat and couldn’t believe it. It measured 22.5 Inches. I got my scale out but when I turned it on I don’t think It was calibrated correctly It said it weighed only 5.1 pounds. On my tape measure sticker that is on the boat it says the average weight of a fish that is 22 inches is 6.7 pounds. Now this fish didn’t have the biggest of bellies but it still wasn’t skinny or anything. I was still excited to have caught the fish but think the weight was off on the scale. Like I said it was 22.5 inches. I took pictures but my stupid camera (Cheep Digital) Didn’t do very good. You can’t really see how big the fish is. I was ticked. My wife usually goes with me but she didn’t go this time so no one was there to take a picture of me holding the fish and trying to hold a bass that size out in front of you and taking a picture of it isn’t easy. I will post the pictures later when I can but what do you think this fish would have weighed at 22.5 inches long. I half to say my scale was off so I am going to say it was a sold 6 pounds. I caught one more that was like about 3 pounds on another senko and then I started towards shore. I tossed the popper out one more time and it got sucked under by another fish. I didn’t hook it very good because I got him close to the boat and he spit the lure. I got a good look at him and would say he was right about 4 pounds. Anyway like I said it was a great day on the water. What a trip.

I got that Hawg!

2. jellywormer

jellywormer Waiting for the tap tap.

Way to go!! Feels good don't it? Looking foreword to the pics! In regards to your scale; I have been wondering if maybe mine is off somehow as well.
    Anyone have a good method for testing a digital scale?

3. OhioAngler

OhioAngler Snag Master

Cograts!!! Hey, who makes the senko?

4. AWSOME! I caught one that was 22.5" from the pond where i work at. What a blast!

5. Bass_Hawg

Hey Ohio Angler,

Gary Yamamoto makes the senko. I think that a few other lure folks do as well. I get mine at Dicks Sporting Goods. They carry a wide range of the Gary Yamamoto custom baits.

Heck Yea jellywormer it sure feels good to finally get a few fish in the boat worth talken about. For a few i was thinking i was cursed or something but looks like the curse is gone.

6. My digital scale always seems to stick right below that five lb. mark for smallies at Dale Hollow. It must be because they are in a different time zone or something. :p :D :rolleyes: Seriously, congrats on a great fish. Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Danny

7. Congrats on the very nice ohio bass! Looking forward to the pics!

As far as the scale goes I tested mine with some dumbells that were around the house. Everytime I have thought a scale was off the dumbell proves me wrong. I just put it in a kroger bag and weigh it out. You could also use a gallon of water or anything with a constant weight.

8. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

wow..what a coincident..i was driving back from Indy today and fished somewhere there, using senko, and caught some smallies..they were ok sized...what a great bait..thats all i have in my tackle apart from my carp stuff.. :)

9. Bass_Hawg

I tried useing weights to check the scales accuracy here is what I got. I weighed a 2 pound 8 ounce weight and got two pounds Six ounces.
    I weighed a 5 pound weight and got 4 pounds 5 ounces. I weighed a 10 pound weight and got 9 pounds 15 ounces. I do know that weight bench weights are not always right on the money but dont know what to make of this. I think when I turned on the scale at the pond (I was very excited) I might havehad a slight pull on the metal hook of the scale when it first turned on and calibrated itself. Who Knows all I know is that that fish was a HAWG and a Half. It was a huge rush reeling in that monster.

10. catking

catking Banned

Very nice bass there 'Hawg !!! Some people swear by them sencos. And as you know, lizards can be deadly when used in the spring time. CATKING :)

11. Bass_Hawg

Here are the pics. Finally got unlazy. Like I said before the pictures didn't turn out like I had hoped. I have a big bass proshop sticker tape measure stuck to the boat. I put the fish on the sticker and tried to take pictures but you cat really see any numbers. The picture labled bass3post1 is a picture of a fish that went just over 3 pounds. I think he was like 3.4 or something on my scale. the picture labled bass 22inchpost1 is a picture of the 22 1/2 inch bass. enjoy the pictuers and I think I am going to hire someone to go with me next time just to take pictures. :D

Attached Files:

12. Those are some very nice bass. I'm sure you will have no problem finding a picture taker if you're catching bass like those.

13. jellywormer

jellywormer Waiting for the tap tap.