close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nice day at the Chargrin

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by The Game Is On, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have not be out alot this year so i went out the other day and had a blast went 8/10 got this hen on my last sack needed her eggs but still let her go:) [​IMG]

2. Glad to hear you let her go , after you tore her gills apart. If your going to abuse them at least keep them!!!! Learn how to handle these fish.

3. Hey betterthan blah blah blah.....
    Maybe you should go back to TSS and spew your "wisdom" to feel better about yourself.

Nice catch Game.
    Where in the current did you catch her?
    How were you rigged?

4. i was scouting chagrin on sunday. this week should be prime before any major weather change. i saw guys with fish everywhere i stopped. will be fishing on tuesday.

5. Sorry betterthanjoewallguy i am not a pro in know way did i want to hert the fish i am new to this and still learning

6. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

These fish are flat out dead not just half dead. Don't like dead steelies. :B

Attached Files:

7. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Nice catch Game On, don't worry about mrjoebetterthanblahblahblah comments do what you see fit with the fish, you caught it, your decision. '

Kev, you crack me up !:p Did you use a gaff on those chromers ! LOL !

8. Very nice fish game, going to try to get up their this weekend if weather permiting.

9. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Nope just a Beckman net, the blood stream on that one hog is sweet huh? man those steelies love to bleed all over the place. I ruined a pair of shoes and 2 shirts last year due to those pesky steelies. :D

10. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Steelies are bad no doubt about it, you outta see whitefish when they come through the hole ice fishing. You just look at them and they start hemorrhaging.

11. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Kgonefishing, there's some monsters in that cooler! Haha!

And The Game Is On, I see no problem with the way you're holding that fish. Maybe just use 1 finger next time instead of 3. But regardless, if that fish's gills were damaged at all, blood would be leaking all over your hands. Therefore, the fish is fine. Not to mention, there's 100,000 more where that came from. Good fish, glad you got hooked up.

I was in Columbus all weekend for the Musky Expo, but I can't wait to get out this week sometime. I think I might have a "dentist appointment" so I probably wont make it to work :)

12. Ok, Game , Im glad you to see your not as brilliant as some of the others around here, and will learn from your mistakes, and as far as spewing "wisdom" goes, right is right have some respect for the creatures we hunt, west coasters dont even remove fish from water, all Im saying is lets respect and protect the GIFT we have been given, theres a reason people drive from ALL over this country to fish for our steel. and as far as the 100,000 more comment goes , see above comment, nice to be surrounded by such conservationists.

13. Betterthanjoewallguy It's cool i respect your opinion i love fishing for steelhead that why i let go 99% of all the fish i get. In know way do i try to hurt any of the fish i catch and if i did something that you did not like i'm still learing sorry

14. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

[" nice to be surrounded by such conservationists.[/QUOTE]"
    Im going to smoke an extra steel for you joe blah blah blah lets eat

15. Why dont you smoke you other leg? It would taste better that steelhead, you need me to send you a recipe for a good maranade?

16. Nice fish Game. Most guys new to steelhead would have kept it, so thanks for putting her back.

Here are the guidelines from the Ohio Central Basin Steelheaders to help ensure the fish you release lives to fight another day for another fisherman.

Guidelines for Catch and Proper Release
    How you handle your steelhead once it's hooked will affect its survival. If properly handled, it will have an excellent chance of survival, these fish are tougher than you give them credit for. Taking a few precautions when releasing your fish will allow it to live, spawn and be caught again.

Always use the heaviest leader as the condition permits and land your catch as quickly as possible. A fish played too long may not recover. If you use a net to aid in landing your fish, using a soft fabric net reduces the risk of injury to the fish.

Keep the fish in water as much as possible. A fish out of water can be injured while thrashing around or begins to suffocate. Attention to air and water temperatures must be considered. The colder temperatures allow more time out of the water for photographs or show and tell. The warmer the temperatures the risk factor is greater and could reduce survival.

When ever possible use barbless hooks or hooks with the barb flattened. This has several advantages such as better hook sets and easier removal. Remove the hook carefully by grasping the shank of the hook (either with your fingers or hemostats).

A major factor in the survival of a released fish is where it has been hooked. Do not pull on the line. Leave deeply set hooks in the fish. If the fish has swallowed the hook deep into its throat or the hook is set in the gill structure in the top of the mouth, do not attempt to remove it. The fish can remove it better and easier than you can. These fish have a greater chance of survival if the line is cut as close to the hook as possible and the hook is left in.

If you must hold the fish to remove the hook, hold the fish gently behind the gill area. Squeezing the fish can damage internal organs and cause death. The gills are fragile and easily damaged, resulting in excessive bleeding, so keep your fingers out of the gills and remove the hook carefully.

Help revive the fish. If a released fish does not swim away, hold it in a normal swimming position in soft current. Moving the fish back and forth in the current is not necessary, the current will do the work to allow the gills to remove oxygen from the water and enter its blood. Most fish recover in less than a minute and readily swims away. If the fish is have trouble coming around, you may want to put the fish on a stringer to watch it for awhile. If its condition improves satisfactorily you can release it or you will have to take it home.

Keeping fish on stringers through the gill area may cause damage.

If the fish is badly bleeding, you should put the fish on a stringer to watch it and make sure before you release it, it will survive.

Joel

17. While betterthanjoewallguy could have put it a little nicer, I'd have to agree that I wouldn't hold a fish like the game is on is holding if I was going to release it. I used to hold them exactly how he did when I first started without even thinking twice. I was like "man, these fish are so powerful and strong...they could probably withstand anything". The opposite is true with steelhead. They die probably easier than any fish I have caught. More than likely this fish will be ok since there isn't any blood. But I personally wouldn't take the chance.

18. gsteel

gsteel Banned

Joe blah blah blah blah, I hate you, but in a way you are somewhat correct. I really dont want to give you any credit but I must. In your abbrasive way you may have taught somebody something which is a good thing. To all, do your best to take care of your fish upon releasing. If somebody just kicked your azz how would you like to get treated after that?

19. Hey g money, you better recognizze , and dont hate the player hate the "game" hhhaaaaa since he cant hold a fish !!!!!ahhh hhaaaa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.