Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I fish in my sleep
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the mosqito causeway tuesday morning and caught a 9lb blue cat and a 13lb blue cat i been fishing mosqito for years and aint never caught a blue cat the 13 pounder almost took my pole

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
dont let anyone call you out on this eather cause last year me and whitrill was there bass fishing and he got one abought 10lb,and they are blues like a slate blue color and top jow longer than the bottom,good job bud i love miltom you name it its in there markfish

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
from what I understand, there is not blues in skeeto, pics for verification?
why not blues at squito? there in w branch, deer creek and who knows where else, everyone said no musky there and some have been caught this yr,just like the flatheads at wb i don,t remember them being stocked but there being caught,so who knows... maybe some home stockings going on, like at ladue..[w perch],

·
Registered
79 Posts
my attitude is with all the flooding and the way skeeter is, i could believe there are a few in there. what is to say some didn't end up in there. I have no reason to doubt him. like has been said most were saying there were no musky and they have been caught there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i know its far fetched BUT,if you had a few guys who lived near by,loved to catfish,and was sick of having people say theres no blues in skeeter,what would it cost them each to throw some in there?i know its illegal,but do you think people do it?

·
I fish in my sleep
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just like i was fishing with my dad and was doing a survey for a wildlife guy and reeled in a soft shell turtle he said he didnt no they were there 15 mins later my dad reels in another 1 at mosquito but everybody doubts that to

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I believe you. Skeeter, Milton, WB, and Berlin all drain to the Mahoning River which drains to the Ohio River. Therefore, any fish that were in the river when the lakes were created, would then be in the lake! The numbers of fish may be small due to poor habitat and reproduction. Blues and Flatheads are also apex predators so, there numbers are usually small anyways compared other species. When someone does hook one, it either breaks their line (the one that got away!) or they confuse it with channel cats so catches are probably under reported.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Blue catfish are similar in appearance to channel catfish, however young blue catfish do not exhibit the “freckled” coloration that is characteristic of young channel catfish. The edge of the anal fin (the fin on the underside of the fish closest to the tail) of blue catfish forms a straight line and is longer than that of channel catfish, which is curved.

can you fill us in with this part? did you notice what the tail looked like?

What kind of coloration's did it have? From reading I understood that they were only as far up as the Ohio River..and that is what that article says...but since they are native to Ohio, why couldn't they be in mosquito? Most likely it was a male channel...We will never know!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
also, it does say they are native to Ohio, but that does not include Mosquito, or any lakes farther north than the center of the state, or Greenup dam on the Ohio River..

·
Registered
130 Posts
We do know there are Blues in mosquito - The guy said he caught two!
why do we assume that he,and others,are not smart enough to research and determine what they caught.
I caught one in Milton last year and a friend caught one in Berlin as well

........ Feel free to quote ODNR now .....

·
I fish in my sleep
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they were both like a baby blue with a gray mix lol what evewr color that may be the head on them didnt look like a channel cat i have caught plenty of channel cats from marblehead sandusky mosqito ohio river and many more places it wasnt a channel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts