Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Went out to the ribs festival and enjoyed some of the finest ribs in the country! I saw some decent access to the river around the banks so I decided to try my luck on the Scioto for the first time. I had a pretty solid trip, landing a 1.25 chunky lm bass on a rattletrap within the first hour then and eventually landing a solid 3 lb 2 oz lm bass on a tube around the 2.5 hour mark. Unfortunately, I missed a lot of opportunities on the tube, missing 3 fish that inhaled the bait. I had just switched my line from braid/leader to a pure fluorocarbon set-up. Since the water in the lakes around here is so clear, I figured pure fluoro is the way to go. The extra stretch takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm sure by my next trips my hook set ratio will be back to normal.

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
I had just switched my line from braid/leader to a pure fluorocarbon set-up. Since the water in the lakes around here is so clear, I figured pure fluoro is the way to go.
Good job on figuring out the fishing around here, but that almost sounds like a joke. You must have only fished quarries so far because our lakes are rarely have more than a few feet of visibility.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Good job on figuring out the fishing around here, but that almost sounds like a joke. You must have only fished quarries so far because our lakes are rarely have more than a few feet of visibility.
Depending on where you're from (statewise) our Lakes/Rivers actually are pretty clear. There are numerous Rivers/Res. in Indiana/Illinois that essentially never clear up and are Muddy year-round:( (similar to the Olentangy just south of Delaware).

I always use a Floro leader once the water "greens up".

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Depending on where you're from (statewise) our Lakes/Rivers actually are pretty clear. There are numerous Rivers/Res. in Indiana/Illinois that essentially never clear up and are Muddy year-round:( (similar to the Olentangy just south of Delaware).

I always use a Floro leader once the water "greens up".
Yeah, I sometimes use a leader when the creeks clear up. I have yet to use one this year!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I've mainly fished quarries, the three I've been to have all had 6-10 feet of visibility lol. Hopefully the lakes I go to in the next few weeks are more stained like I'm used to.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Nice man! I really enjoy your videos. How long have you been in Cbus?
+1

Also enjoy your videos, makes me want to film all my catches and share, almost (maybe if this was a private forum). Keep in mind alot of people can see what you post, and they may not have the best intentions when it comes to catch & release. By no means am I suggesting you stop posting videos, just that may want to exercise a bit of caution in some circumstances.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1

Also enjoy your videos, makes me want to film all my catches and share, almost (maybe if this was a private forum). Keep in mind alot of people can see what you post, and they may not have the best intentions when it comes to catch & release. By no means am I suggesting you stop posting videos, just that may want to exercise a bit of caution in some circumstances.
Thanks, I understand that many people are worried about spot burning, but as someone who enjoys promoting the sport of fishing, I will keep posting videos of various locations that I explore. If I post a video of a spot you wish to remain hidden, just pm me and I will no longer post videos of that location. Someone has already requested that I no longer reveal spots along the Olentangy River, so I will continue to fish there but I will not be posting videos.

Back in Philadelphia, where I did 3 years of undergrad, I helped get around 50 adults and 20 kids into the sport of fishing. I promoted CPR (catch-photo-release) as well as respecting nature, and over that time period, not a single revealed location suffered with productivity and the environments stayed litter-free.

As far as catch-and-release goes here, it seems to me that there is a good amount of it going on already, at least for smb and lmb. In the video on this post, if you looked carefully, the 3 lb bass I caught had already been caught before, based on the hole in its mouth on the upper left hand corner (I hooked the fish dead center in the roof of its mouth).

I enjoy exploring different locations and helping other fisherman improve as anglers, but if I notice increased littering, or decreased productivity, then I will certainly be careful of what videos I post.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I enjoy exploring different locations and helping other fisherman improve as anglers, but if I notice increased littering, or decreased productivity, then I will certainly be careful of what videos I post.
Disregarding those who have fished Central Ohio's waterways for 20+ years is not going to make you any friends on here. You've lived in this state for 15 days, you have no basis to make an informed judgement call on litter/productivity/pressure/C&R rates etc. We do.

Please remember that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Disregarding those who have fished Central Ohio's waterways for 20+ years is not going to make you any friends on here. You've lived in this state for 15 days, you have no basis to make an informed judgement call on litter/productivity/pressure/C&R rates etc. We do.

Please remember that.
Get a life. This guy is making good videos and he obviously enjoys his time on the water. Why do people always feel the need to correct everyone all the time on this forum? It seems like every other post, someone is tell someone else, don't post this, or don't reveal that. I love to fish, but I do it to enjoy it, not to freak out about how everyone else does things!! Rant over

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Get a life. This guy is making good videos and he obviously enjoys his time on the water. Why do people always feel the need to correct everyone all the time on this forum? It seems like every other post, someone is tell someone else, don't post this, or don't reveal that. I love to fish, but I do it to enjoy it, not to freak out about how everyone else does things!! Rant over
Im honestly trying to give him a shot across the bow before he posts something that really pisses a bunch of people off. Judging by his last paragraph that time is going to come sooner rather then later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Why do people always feel the need to correct everyone all the time on this forum? said:
I thought about that after I hit send but seriously...maybe its just that it hasn't happened to me yet, but I haven't seen a spot ruined by a post or video yet. That spot in his last video certainly is no secret....

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I thought about that after I hit send but seriously...maybe its just that it hasn't happened to me yet, but I haven't seen a spot ruined by a post or video yet. That spot in his last video certainly is no secret....
In OGF's 10 year run there's been all kinds of incidents like this that have caused issues. You just haven't been around here long enough ;).

Again, im not trying to bash you 1rod1reel, but I, as well as numerous others are probably thinking "great, a video of my honey hole is coming next". Combine that video with an attitude that you're somehow in a position to make a judgement call and your going to ruffle some feathers.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Acklac, I understand what you're trying to say, and I will do my best to be respectful of that. Like I said, if I post any videos of spots that people do not want revealed, just pm me and I won't create any videos in the future of that spot.

I've located about 15 different spots that I will be fishing in the next few months. They are: antrim lake, o'shaughnessy dam, scioto river, darby bends lakes, linden pond, hilliard park ponds, hoover dam, alum dam, darby creek, chestnut ridge pond, pickerington lake, schrock lake, three creeks lake, franklin park, and 4-5 quarries in various locations.

If anyone feels that any of these places are their "honey holes" and don't want me to post any videos on them, just pm me and after I fish it, I'll be sure not to publish any vids of my catches.

Like I mentioned before, my goal is to promote the sport and help anglers learn. After all, isn't this forum about sharing information? I've already received a lot helpful information from some members here which I'm extremely grateful for and I'm sure will help me in the future to land more and bigger fish during my 4 year stay in Columbus.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Acklac, I understand what you're trying to say, and I will do my best to be respectful of that. Like I said, if I post any videos of spots that people do not want revealed, just pm me and I won't create any videos in the future of that spot.

I've located about 15 different spots that I will be fishing in the next few months. They are: antrim lake, o'shaughnessy dam, scioto river, darby bends lakes, linden pond, hilliard park ponds, hoover dam, alum dam, darby creek, chestnut ridge pond, pickerington lake, schrock lake, three creeks lake, franklin park, and 4-5 quarries in various locations.

If anyone feels that any of these places are their "honey holes" and don't want me to post any videos on them, just pm me and after I fish it, I'll be sure not to publish any vids of my catches.

Like I mentioned before, my goal is to promote the sport and help anglers learn. After all, isn't this forum about sharing information? I've already received a lot helpful information from some members here which I'm extremely grateful for and I'm sure will help me in the future to land more and bigger fish during my 4 year stay in Columbus.
I believe we're on the same page, honest to god I like your videos, just don't want to see you turn into somebody that people frown upon when they see you fishing a hole they frequent. Actually my buddy just got a go-pro and I called him tonight about all it's features. I will admit, the thought of capturing a HAWG on cam while you're fighting it is tantalizing.

Ask anybody on here, im all about promoting our rivers and streams, however sometimes in the pursuit of promotion you encounter instances that do more harm then good. I'll send you a PM ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Deazl and I went and fished downtown this evening. It was the first time he & I had fished together and while coasting through the area I shared with him every bit of info I know about that part of the river. While discussing the forum he mentioned a similar experience about private messages concerning him discussing where he fishes. I thought that was kind of ludicrous. On a public stretch of water there is no such thing as a private honey hole. It's public water! While I can certainly understand being disappointed that a favorite spot becomes famous, no one has the grounds to be salty over it.

To the op, keep posting your videos.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For everyone who supports me, I greatly appreciate your positive feedback. For now, I will continue posting videos while being mindful of potential revealing "secret spots." If at any point, I deem that my videos do more harm than good, I will cease to post them, but I will make that decision based on the experiences I undergo while fishing the beautiful lakes, rivers, and ponds around Columbus.

Tight lines,

1Rod1ReelFishing

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
I say keep it up. The stuff you've been posting so far is extremely well known water....Water most people are too scared/disgusted to fish anyways :D

I will say some of the Metro Park ponds are youth fishing only (Chestnut Ridge pond).

·
Super Moderator
3,988 Posts
Looks like your doing good for a newbie to Columbus. The lakes around here can get be very stubborn so the rivers are very precious to alot of us. Appreciate your consideration and enthusiasm all the same.

cheers

1 - 20 of 64 Posts